"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Senior Cook

A whole new knife 'set'!

I've been relatively dormant on here over the past few years as I got busy with opening my law practice and trying to keep up with life. I'm still cooking, still love cooking, and am even taking classes now!

Given that I maintained my love for cooking, I've decided to update my knife selection and went with the following:

Hattori HD-08 240mm gyuto for my main

Kagayaki VG-10 KV-2 150mm petty for my main secondary knife (I've always enjoyed using a 6" utility knife for smaller jobs...just a preference)

Tojiro DP Damascus 165mm santoku for my wife (another thing that's changed since I was frequenting these parts...same girl...just the title's changed)

Hattori FH-13C 270mm sujihiki for all of my slicing needs (this one's on it's way and I can't wait....I love cutting up a good roast!)

I've also gathered a few other tidbits to help including a 10" Forschner Fibrox bread knife, some Forschner parers, some Chosera whetstones for sharpening, and a Saber Knives knife bag to carry stuff in when I'm going to class, etc.

All in all, I'm pretty happy! Lots of good chopping, slicing, and dicing in my future!

Old 01-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Glad to hear you settled on some quality knives.
Looks like a honesuki might be in your future.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Oh my!!! Those are pretty!!

I think I need to order myself a new one now. Congrats on everything & welcome back.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Head Chef

Good stuff! Bet you're anxious to use them!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanks guys!

Rob, I read a lot of your posts as I was deciding - very helpful - thanks for always being around to give your advice to those in need!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
Head Chef

Hey, I do love to prattle on about knives!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Haha, I have no doubt! It's all very addictive...which is probably why I just ordered a Moritaka #2 270mm gyuto to...round out the set? what the hell am I doing??? Ah well, more knives = more fun! I just wanted one carbon...and it looked REALLY cool.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
That is some beautiful steel, congrats! I am sure they will serve you well for decades, and decades!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Haha, I have no doubt! It's all very addictive...which is probably why I just ordered a Moritaka #2 270mm gyuto to...round out the set? what the hell am I doing??? Ah well, more knives = more fun! I just wanted one carbon...and it looked REALLY cool.
Sweet! I have that same Moritaka in Super Aogami- I think you'll love it. You won't believe the edge it will take.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thatnks Tatt! I'm hoping this set will last me...well...forever. I don't see why not. Unless we start slicing with lasers...

And yeah, Rob, I've heard great things about the edges that they'll take. I thought long and hard about the differences between the AS and the #2 and took the retailer's recommendation on the #2 (maybe he just wanted to get rid of one of them because they don't sell as much..?) but he said he preferred it because it was more "carbon", a bit softer, and easier to sharpen and still held the edge really well.

In any event, I'm really looking forward to that one...that one, though, I might have to hide from the wife...she was pretty understanding about the first 8 that I bought but then, adding two more (the FH and the Mori)...haha...that's a bit much.

Tags
knife