"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Which is why I stress, Merstar, that the most important part of knife choice is comfort level.

I have an 8" Henkels Twin Cuisine that comes in at 11.25 ounces. My wife, who has small hands, can't use it. So I bought her a Wusthoff Classic Ikon, also 8." It tips the scales at 6 ounces, and she loves it.

Day in and day out I use a 10" Henkels Zwilling Professional. So that Classic Ikon feels like a toy to me.

But they all get the job done.

I agree with Danbuter that home cooks often over-choose their cutlery. Victorinox makes great working tools that are very affordible. They'd be ideal for home cooks if they were more readily available. And if the home cook who bought them learns how to sharpen them.

I don't let strangers touch my knives. So, for our cooking demos and workshops, I went looking for inexpensive knives I could have for that purpose. At Bed Bath Beyod I found an 8" Farber chef's knife for ten bucks each. Bought two, which I've used for a year, now, and can't believe how well they hold an edge. All I've done is steel them.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Can most kitchen tasks be done with a 6"?

Not most, KG. All!

Unless you get into breaking down your own primal cuts, I can't think of a single job I can do with my 10" chef's knife that you couldn't do with a 6" one.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie
Which is why I stress, Merstar, that the most important part of knife choice is comfort level.

At Bed Bath Beyod I found an 8" Farber chef's knife for ten bucks each. Bought two, which I've used for a year, now, and can't believe how well they hold an edge. All I've done is steel them.
That's awesome. I have been happy with Farber products and am looking to exchange my very pricey Wusthof for a bunch of other kitchen and household items I need. This could be exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Can most kitchen tasks be done with a 6"?

Not most, KG. All!

Unless you get into breaking down your own primal cuts, I can't think of a single job I can do with my 10" chef's knife that you couldn't do with a 6" one.
That's terrific news. I thought I was doing something wrong because I haven't been able to manage very well with my 8" knife!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Senior Cook

You might be doing something wrong, KG. But more than likely the length and balance is just cumbersome in your hand.

When you go back to the store, actually handle a knife the way you would at home. Ask them for a cutting board, and, pretending there's food on it, cut, and slice, and chop the way you do. If you're not happy with it that way you certainly won't be happy with it at home.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:

When you go back to the store, actually handle a knife the way you would at home. Ask them for a cutting board, and, pretending there's food on it, cut, and slice, and chop the way you do. If you're not happy with it that way you certainly won't be happy with it at home.
I will definitely buy my knives in the store rather than online. I can see how helpful it is to try them out before buying. I may also need to educate myself on knife skills. I'm hoping I can find some good YouTube videos on that.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Most of your brick and mortar stores allow a full refund within 30 days if not satisfied, Bed Bath & Beyond as an example. Buy a knife, take it home and use it, return it for a refund if not satisfied.

Most of my knives are Henkels. I'm fully satisfied with them. However I wanted a small santoku (4") which my Henckels line didn't have so I bought a 4" Cuisinart santoku, which not only did I like it quite a lot but it was very inexpensive too, much less expensive than the Henckels fleet prices.

So I recommend Henckels but I'll suggest if you want to save money try a Cuisinart blade. Again, buy from a place where you can get a full refund within 30 days.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Thanks Greg! I have two Cuisinart knives and am very happy with them. I'll go to Bed Bath and look at their whole selection.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Have a look at J.A. Henckels International too. I think I advised you of this too in a different but related topic. To be honest I'm glad the bulk of my knives are Henckels. The Cuisinart is nice but not nearly nice as my Henckels. My Henckels line didn't have a 4" santoku or I would have bought it, but I'm pleased with the Cuisinart santoku, although it's shape and heft are a little odd to me. For a bigger santoku I'd advise you to look at Henckels. But then I think that's where this topic started out IIRC, that Wusthof and Henckels are similar price (expensive) although Henckels has various priced lines and I don't know which was referred to as similar price to Wusthof. I never looked at Wusthof. I liked my Henckels as soon as I bought them and I never looked back.