"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Alternative to Wusthof Classic Chef's knife?

I bought this knife and would like to return it and find a less expensive but decent quality alternative. I'm not a chef and want something for home use. I find it a bit large and uncomfortable for my hands.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Senior Cook

What size knife do you have? Get the next size down.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I have the 8" chef's. Do you know of a brand of knives that performs well but isn't so expensive?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Head Chef

I have a Henckels, which is about the same price as the Wusthof, but it feels better in my hands (I have fairly small hands). Here's a very inexpensive knife I have saved on my Amazon wish list if I every want to get a 2nd chef's knife:

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Chef Knife: Kitchen & Dining
Old 02-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Thank you for suggesting the OXO chef's knife. I love their products and the price is right - way cheaper than the Wusthof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar
I have a Henckels, which is about the same price as the Wusthof, but it feels better in my hands (I have fairly small hands). Here's a very inexpensive knife I have saved on my Amazon wish list if I every want to get a 2nd chef's knife:

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Chef Knife: Kitchen & Dining
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Any knife will perform well, KG, providing you keep it sharp. One of the differences between quality knives and others is their ability to take, and hold, an edge.

So, the real secret is choosing knives that are comfortable in your hand.

I'm surprised you don't find the Wusthoff Classic comfortable. I suspect it's one of two things: either the handle design, or the amount of rocker in the blade. I don't think it's weight, cuz many knives---like the Henkel---are much heavier in the same sizes.

If it's the former, check out the Classic Ikon instead, which differs primarily in the handle design. It curves gently, and lacks the lump at the end that the Classic's have.

If you're not happy because there is too much rocker, then you need a chef's knife with a French model blade, rather than German. They have less curve to the blade.

If any amount of rocker is uncomfortable for you (many home cooks do feel that way), then you might consider a Santuko instead. They have flat edges, with no rocker. The downside to Santukos is that they are awkward if you use a pinch-grip and claw cutting style.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Senior Cook

As far as brand of knife, I recommend Victorinox, which you can get at a restaurant supply store for around $26. It's used in many commercial kitchens.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
I'm surprised you don't find the Wusthoff Classic comfortable. I suspect it's one of two things: either the handle design, or the amount of rocker in the blade. I don't think it's weight, cuz many knives---like the Henkel---are much heavier in the same sizes.
I found it to be just the opposite - The Wusthof felt heavier than the Henckels. I also preferred the handle on the Henckels for my size hand.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbuter
As far as brand of knife, I recommend Victorinox, which you can get at a restaurant supply store for around $26. It's used in many commercial kitchens.
Thank you for telling me about these. Looked them up on Amazon and they got excellent reviews.

Maybe I need to switch to a 6" knife since the 8" seems cumbersome. Can most kitchen tasks be done with a 6"?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have always used a 6" chef's. I'm short and counters are too high, an 8" is just balanced wrong for me. I can use an 8", it just takes me longer.