"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-21-2006, 02:32 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Anyone go to a henckel warehouse sale?

http://usa.zwilling.com/

looks like you have to go in person, wondering if anyone has gone in the past, if they have had them before. Looking at getting the 10pc block set of the twin cuisine. Wondering if I should hold out for a sale.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

You might consider shopping online at Amazon for particular knives rather than having a complete set of something. Or even a complete set, if that is what is desired. They have good sales and free shipping in most cases.
I find I really only use several kinds of knives--Santoku, chef's, paring, bread, slicer. I use a magnetic strip to keep my knives. And all my knives are not one brand, depending on "feel" in my hand.
Also I might be willing to spend more money on a good brand name chef's knife than I would be willing to spend on the same brand of bread knife. That is to say, I don't think I need a $80 bread slicer, but that could be fine for a chef's or slicer.
Also, if you want a block, Costco has a Wusthof block of knives, if that brand would suit you.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Cook

In my experience, whole sets of knives rarely go on sale at drastically reduced prices, unless a style is being discontinued, as is happening with the Henckel 4 star style this year. You are more apt to see individual knives at reduced prices. I've bought nearly all my knives at one sale or another, over the years! And, as Gretchen says, they don't all have to match.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

knives

I need a good knife for chopping. Have never wanted to spend alot of money. Now after using a Le Creuset dutch oven and a brand new 4 qt. saute pan from all-clad,I'm hooked on quality. I am just starting to enjoy cooking. It has been a chore for the most part. I was told at williams sonoma that once you use good cookware you'll never go back to inferior pots. What a difference...I think.Is it all in my head because I've been told that??! Now I want to chop, dice and get into more veggies.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
3babies - uh oh - you've joined the cult!!!!! lol

No, it's not in your head. You will love a good chef's knife. I like my 8" chef's knife (the blade is 8" excluding the handle). It's large enough to do a lot of chopping at once while keeping the tip on the chopping block. My favorite knife is my Santoku. Couldn't live without that one! I like the rocking motion available in my chef's knife for certain prep work though.

You will become totally dependent on that one knife in NO time!!!! Start thinking now about what you are going to get rid of to make room for all your new quality toys!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Kitchenelf, you're evil. LoL Making someone think about what to throw away!!!

Actually, tho, I went through the knife drawer and said .. I'm keeping that, getting rid of that, I can't throw that one out, but I really don't want it in that drawer. Sometimes thinking is good. :-)
Old 11-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Someone on this site recomended a upper scale web site that sold high end knives for less...... cannot remember the site. ANY HELP ?????

Bob J
Old 11-16-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

The warehouse sale is located in Hawthorne, NY (Henckels US headquarters). I've heard they have great deals. It is a walk in sale and I believe its held over 2 weekends.