"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-07-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Head Chef

Beautiful Hattori Petty 4" Arrived (pics)

Just arrived today! Let me tell you i have henckel's, wusthof, but this Hattori BLOWS THEM OUT OF THE WATER. in looks, feel, quality, sharpness, etc. it is Damascus steel, which means each side has 33 layers of steel on it.

These handforged knives are pieces of art though and should be treated with utmost care. if Some idiot comes over do not let him NEAR IT. ive had my $160 Henckel's Twin-Cermax66 put in the ****ing DISHWASHER by some idiot maid I had come over.

This knife is not as expensive as the twin-cermax66(granted, not as big and versatile) but worth EVERY PENNY! btw - wusthof grand prix makes chicago cutlery look like butterknives henckel's twin cermax makes wusthof look like chicago cutlery. Hattori makes Henckel's look like Wusthof.

If you want an all purpose knife, this is not the one you want. you want the Gyotu or the Santoku. Superior to american Chef's knives IMO Gyotu that is. Expect to pay a good amount for these but think - this is a beautiful piece you can use every day FOREVER.

Ive ranup BARTABS 3x more expensive than this Hattori. Think about that when you think of prices. how much you spend going out, as opposed to what you can keep and get compliments on and admire forever.

you may think - 100 bucks... FOR A KNIFE? well.... think you will spend 100 dollars on a single outfit... a normal outfit you may wear for a year...or you may spend 100 bucks on dinner and drinks! Forget that... spend 100 bucks and buy this BEAUTIFUL HATTORI 4" Petty knife. a piece of functional art you can admire and use for the rest of your life. i got mine shipped overnight delivery for 120....and you can find em on ebay for 85.

pics taken by me

Old 09-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
Sous Chef

any relation to hattori hanzo of kill bill fame??

Old 09-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Legs,

That is one sweet knife. Congrats! Enjoy, my man!

Marion
Old 09-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Senior Cook

What a lovely piece of equipment. Just lovely.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

thank you so much guys. it is a PLEASURE to work with. perfect for cutting up bulk chinense peppers which is all it's going to be used for.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I'm on dial-up right now, so I had to wait for the pics to load. While I was waiting, I read your post. I was spitting and sputtering about spending $100 on a knife.

Then the pictures loaded.

I retract my thoughts. It looks to be well worth every cent! What a beautiful knife! Congratulations!

I'm jealous.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Jeez. The way you described it, I thought you were going to say it was $1,000 or something. $100 is peanuts for a knife. My basic Wusthof Classic Chef's knife costs more than that if you buy it separately. It's a great looking knife, but if I should encounter God on my journey, will God be cut?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior Cook

these hattoris knives are beautiful... and i am sold on your speech regarding $100 knives!! i may be looking into getting one myself, i had been looking at misonos too which are very highly rated but am squeamish about the whole sharpening on one side - not to say its not good technique, but i am not comfortable with it myself... but these hattoris are indeed BEAUTIFUL!!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr
Jeez. The way you described it, I thought you were going to say it was $1,000 or something. $100 is peanuts for a knife. My basic Wusthof Classic Chef's knife costs more than that if you buy it separately. It's a great looking knife, but if I should encounter God on my journey, will God be cut?
lol, it's a 4" knife mate

which brings me to a whole new thread.....
Old 10-25-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Where did you get it? Or is that a secret? :-)