"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Beginner's Knife Set

Hi there everyone, I'm very new to DC so please excuse this post if it's a duplicate.

What would you recommend for a good beginner's knife set? I'd be looking to spend around $40-60 but am not very experienced when it comes to brand names or what to look for. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

First of all, don't buy a set. You only need about two or three knives to get the job done. Go to a knife shop or kitchen store and handle knives. Get the feel and decide which is most comfortable in your hand.

Read earlier posts in this forum (knives) for some great low cost suggestions.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Andy’s right, you don’t need a whole set to start with. Heck, I’ve got a full set, and I only use one knife from it regularly which is the Chef’s Knife.

The paring knife get’s it’s fair share of use.

So, to start I’d suggest buying a good Chef’s Knife and perhaps a paring knife. Also, get some steel (a steel rod that you use to hone, not sharpen, your blade).

Also valuable to begin with is a good set of kitchen shears and a utility knife. The shears should be fairly heavy as you will want to cut through small bones for things like butterflying a whole chicken. Separating whole chicken wings is also easily done with sheers.

Personally, I have an inexpensive Ginsu type knife (got it from some guy doing a demo at Sam's) that I use for tough utility type jobs like cutting milk jugs, chicken backs, frozen food, etc.

Of course, you’ll be faced with where to store them, so you’ll want to consider a block. Also, a set of steak knives are a must.

Chicago Cutlery is a fairly inexpensive brand with good quality, just make sure you don’t by the lowest end of knives they offer. Look for full tang blades and thick steel in the handles.

If you really want to get a set to start with, this is a good starter set, although you’ll need a new block if/when you decide to by a carving knife and a bread knife.

Some sets come with a boning knife, but to be honest, I prefer a good filet knife. You can get a good one at a decent price from a sporting goods store or Target, Wal-Mart, etc. My “specialty” knives (Ginsu, filet, etc) that aren’t so “pretty” I keep in a utility drawer. They may be inexpensive, but I couldn’t live without them. When you bone 3 – 4 chickens at a time, you quickly find out that a true “boning” knife isn’t as easy to work with as a good, razor sharp filet knife.....IMO.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Forschner makes some good, inexpensive knives. Here's a basic set in your price range.

CookwarePro.com : Forschner 3-Piece Chef's Set #46892 [46892] - $54.88
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm not sure if there is a 'Beginners' knife set, or a beginners knife for that matter.

As others have said, go to a store and see which one feels comfortable. An 8" chef and a 3 1/2" paring is enough to get you started. Don't buy too cheap of a knife. Look for forged blades. Theres no reason to buy a cheap knife unless it's going in your tool box. A $50 forged chef should last you 10+ years if taken care of.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
This is, by far, the best price I have ever seen on a FORGED KNIFE SET.

I bought the Gunter Wilhelm top of the line set, minus the steak knives, last November and I am extremely happy with them. Extremely well balanced, they hold their edge very well, and they are very well made. However, I did not pay near as much as they are currently advertised for. The price seems to be going up every two or three months.

If I was a beginner, and needed some respectable knives, I would jump at this offer!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
This is, by far, the best price I have ever seen on a FORGED KNIFE SET.

I bought the Gunter Wilhelm top of the line set, minus the steak knives, last November and I am extremely happy with them. Extremely well balanced, they hold their edge very well, and they are very well made. However, I did not pay near as much as they are currently advertised for. The price seems to be going up every two or three months.

If I was a beginner, and needed some respectable knives, I would jump at this offer!
WOW! $35.00?!?!? I'm tempted to buy that just to get my hands on those sheers! LOL.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

That Gunther sets looks great!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
WOW! $35.00?!?!? I'm tempted to buy that just to get my hands on those sheers! LOL.
I am pretty sure these kinves were made in China, but then, so was Kwai Chang Caine!

Besides, I am old enough to remember when Made in Japan was the mark of cheap junk!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Mundial 5100 Series White 3-pc. Starter Knife Set: White - Mundial Cutlery Sets