Best blade for chopping onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook
Best blade for chopping onions for production?

I was thinking about a high carbon Nakiri Knife. Then I saw this video, but I have no idea what kind of knife it is, I think I saw some thing like this when searching for something else, but now I can't find it.

long%2Bonion%2Bblade.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjC7-DhOcUc&t=31s

Last edited:
I also read something that said a Nakiri knife has a thck blade and a sigle beval on one side only, which would be very good for holding flat against your hand like in this video.

what knife should I use? a Santoku?

Um, knives should be a personal choice, that is comfortable in your hand. Even with the same manufacturer you will find differences between series. I would never buy a knife that I haven't handled first. Doing so could be a very expensive mistake. One knife doesn't fit all!;) I use my chef's knife for most chopping, be it onions, peppers, carrots, etc....

Last edited:
A good quality Chef's Knife that feels balanced and, fits your hand well is the best chopping knife. I personally do like the Santoku Chef's Knife but, Chicago Cutlery makes nice ones that I use a lot too. (I have several because they are versatile knifes and, I use them for multiple things.)

I also read something that said a Nakiri knife has a thck blade and a sigle beval on one side only, which would be very good for holding flat against your hand like in this video.

what knife should I use? a Santoku?

Nakiri's are double bevel, generally with different angles each side.

Usubas are similar in shape but single bevel.

My Nakiri is roughly the same thickness as my santoku. Non flexibility is important in a vegetable knife.

One thing about the single bevel knives- the bevel is on the outside edge of the blade and it tends to push the blade toward your hand. But you can get them to be incredibly sharp.

The knife in the picture is a nakiri style knife, probably hand made, and probably a long time ago.

For chopping onions I use either my 8-inch or my 10-inch chef's knife, depending on the size of the onion. I have a Presto Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener, so all my knives are always sharp.

model_208_brn_01.jpg

Last edited:
I think the Usuba is the one I want, the one in the photo looks like a ham slicer. probably some kind of home made blade?

I did some research on knifes and got some interesting information.

I found a really good Usuba blade for about $80 on amazon with a square tip. but at this point I am just using a couple Nakiri blades that were insanly cheap on amazon. very thin 1mm but I love them. they slice so thinnly, nothing like hte usual chef knife. well it has been a long time scence mine was sharpeded corectly.

“Usuba” literally means "thin blade" indicating its relative thinness compared to other knives, required for cutting through firm vegetables without cracking them.

Nakiri bōchō (translation: knife for cutting grees)

Usaba is the one I have,too.And I love it :chef:

The knife in the picture is a nakiri style knife, probably hand made, and probably a long time ago.

For chopping onions I use either my 8-inch or my 10-inch chef's knife, depending on the size of the onion. I have a Presto Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener, so all my knives are always sharp.

model_208_brn_01.jpg

That's not a nakiri. That's a large petty or a small chef's.

A nakiri is a rectangular blade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom