Best Japanese (or go German)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jj185jj

Assistant Cook
Hi. So im looking at spending a little bit of money...maybe £200 of 2-3 knives. Was very close to purchasing some Dalsrong knives from Amazon but a few reviews were very negative online, despite Amazons high reviews.
Are these really bad option? im a keen home cook at best but want something to last me. In my uneducated culinary experience i've hard japanese knives are the best but people often suggest 'wusthof', a german brand. I have 3-4 thomas sabo which so far am unimpressed with. Any advice is much appreciated. Such confusing world of knives out there!!!!

I like both

My favorite Japanese knives are all carbon steel. Two single bevel and two double bevel. Hand made, but not crazy expensive. You can probably still find them if you look around. btw, don't confuse carbon steel with high carbon stainless steel- two different metals. The carbon steel will rust if you leave it out wet and it will tarnish no matter what you do, but man does it take an edge easy and hold it with the best of them. I went looking online for you, but the place I used to buy them seems to be selling all stainless steel stuff now. There is good stainless steel, however. VG-10, for instance.

Have you held any of the knives on your short list in your hand?

How a knife feels in your hand is very important, and very personal. If it is not a comfortable match, you will not like it, in the long run.

A big city like London has plenty of stores where you will be allowed to hold different knives in your hand, and pretend to cut something on a cutting board. Their prices may be higher, but they will help you pick out the best knife for YOU. Plus, if you have a warranty issue, they will take care of you. You won't get that from Amazon.

CD

How a knife feels in your hand is very important, and very personal. If it is not a comfortable match, you will not like it, in the long run.

A big city like London has plenty of stores where you will be allowed to hold different knives in your hand, and pretend to cut something on a cutting board. Their prices may be higher, but they will help you pick out the best knife for YOU. Plus, if you have a warranty issue, they will take care of you. You won't get that from Amazon.

CD
^^
Excellent advice.

I would look on YouTube. I like Burrfection. He mainly does sharpening videos, but also does reviews from a sharpeners perspective, which is different than most.

CD

Caseydog is right on with great advice.

You need to try knives out before buying them.
Wusthof (German) is a great manufacturer. So are Shun and Global (Japanese)

I think it is really a personal preference. If i could afford I'd bu only Japanese. But those I like are crazy expensive. Amazon doesn't seem to e selling truly Japanese knives though. I'd be very careful when reading where it's made.

I think it is really a personal preference. If i could afford I'd bu only Japanese. But those I like are crazy expensive. Amazon doesn't seem to e selling truly Japanese knives though. I'd be very careful when reading where it's made.

You can buy Shun and Global and other knives manufactured In Japan on Amazon.

But one should never buy a knife without testing it first.

Back
Top Bottom