"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Best Japanese (or go German)

Hi. So im looking at spending a little bit of money...maybe £200 of 2-3 knives. Was very close to purchasing some Dalsrong knives from Amazon but a few reviews were very negative online, despite Amazons high reviews.
Are these really bad option? im a keen home cook at best but want something to last me. In my uneducated culinary experience i've hard japanese knives are the best but people often suggest 'wusthof', a german brand. I have 3-4 thomas sabo which so far am unimpressed with. Any advice is much appreciated. Such confusing world of knives out there!!!!

jj185jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi !!

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome. There's a new thread here that was started just 2 days ago about knives. You may want to start here. ISO on advice/info on knives

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #4
Master Chef

Welcome jj158jj!

I hope you will introduce yourself in the New Members forum. We would love to know more about you. I hope to see a lot more posts from you!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f6/

CD
Old 05-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I like both

My favorite Japanese knives are all carbon steel. Two single bevel and two double bevel. Hand made, but not crazy expensive. You can probably still find them if you look around. btw, don't confuse carbon steel with high carbon stainless steel- two different metals. The carbon steel will rust if you leave it out wet and it will tarnish no matter what you do, but man does it take an edge easy and hold it with the best of them. I went looking online for you, but the place I used to buy them seems to be selling all stainless steel stuff now. There is good stainless steel, however. VG-10, for instance.
Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Master Chef

Have you held any of the knives on your short list in your hand?

How a knife feels in your hand is very important, and very personal. If it is not a comfortable match, you will not like it, in the long run.

A big city like London has plenty of stores where you will be allowed to hold different knives in your hand, and pretend to cut something on a cutting board. Their prices may be higher, but they will help you pick out the best knife for YOU. Plus, if you have a warranty issue, they will take care of you. You won't get that from Amazon.

CD
Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

How a knife feels in your hand is very important, and very personal. If it is not a comfortable match, you will not like it, in the long run.

A big city like London has plenty of stores where you will be allowed to hold different knives in your hand, and pretend to cut something on a cutting board. Their prices may be higher, but they will help you pick out the best knife for YOU. Plus, if you have a warranty issue, they will take care of you. You won't get that from Amazon.

CD
^^
Excellent advice.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I would look on YouTube. I like Burrfection. He mainly does sharpening videos, but also does reviews from a sharpeners perspective, which is different than most.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

CD

Caseydog is right on with great advice.

You need to try knives out before buying them.
Wusthof (German) is a great manufacturer. So are Shun and Global (Japanese)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
Master Chef

I think it is really a personal preference. If i could afford I'd bu only Japanese. But those I like are crazy expensive. Amazon doesn't seem to e selling truly Japanese knives though. I'd be very careful when reading where it's made.