Best Knives for $150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lentesubigo

Assistant Cook
I am just starting to replace the second hand kitchen supplies I was given when I moved out. After research I am going to buy full-clad stainless steal 21 piece Member's Mark (Sam's Club) cookware for under $200. I also need to replace my knife set.

Here is what I think I need:

Chef Knife and/or Santoku Knife
Bread Knife
Honing Steal
Carving Knife
Utility Knife
Steak Knives (4+, 6 or 8 is better)

To be stored in a drawer, drawer blocks/cases are a plus, counter blocks will go to waste.

I would like them to be rust-proof (stainless), sharp, and last atleast 5 years. My budget maxes out at $150.

Thanks in advace for your recommendations!

I have a set of Wusthoff knives, and I love them. You could probably only get 2 knives for $150, but they'll last forever, and they're fabulous. It's such a treat every time I cut something :)

I second desertland. Wusthof or Henckels. They are more expensive but will last forever. Maybe start with just two or three and don't forget to factor a steel into your budget to keep those beauties sharp!

For $150 you should be able to get a decent set of 3 knives. Chef's paring and Boning/Filets, and a steal. Steak knives you can get in Target for very little money + steal. Bread knive is not a must if your chef knife is sharp.

Caine said:
You won't find a better deal than THIS!

You are refering to the $75 set (Proline 440) at the link you posted right? I have never heard of Proline and $75 for something of quality seems too good to be true. Anyone agree or disagree with Caine?

I think I will get a $30 or $40 set of steak knives at Target or on Amazon.

I have been looking at the Furi Santoku copper tips, and like the feel. I do want a bread knive (chep stamped stainless) because I make 1/2 loafs in my breadmaker 1-2 times a week.

Shoping List:

1. Santoku (Furi - CopperTail, or Other?)
2. Pearing
3. Carving
4. Utility
5. Bread
6. Steel
7. Steak Knives (cheap stainless - local)

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I think I am starting to get a better idea of what I want/need. Please recommend specific knives for the knife types listed above, or recommend a set that will contain what is listed.

What do you think of this set: Chicago Insignia2 18 piece

I have to agree with the above posts that suggest you invest your $ in one or two higher quality knives. Good knives are an investment (and key to success in the kitchen!!).Take proper care of them and they'll last a good, long time.

Best Santoku?

Amazon dropped the price on the Chicago Cutlery Insignia 2 18 piece set to $69.99 (from $119.99.) I think that the steak knives, pearing knife, bread knife, and others will be fine. I would like to use the remaining $80 I have in my budget on the best Santoku knife possible. What I am looking for is a list of 2 or 3 great knifes to go check out locally, and I will make my pick from there.

Thanks for your help, and thanks in advance for your recommendations!

My husband bought me a set of 5 knives from Sharper Image. He is a big fan of them and normally buys cool gadgetery from there.

I had Chicago Cutlery knives before and the constant sharpening was turning out to be a chore.

The Sharper Image Knives were orginally priced at 100 dollars for 5 knives but they dropped the price to 49.99. I absolutely love these knives.

I have a chef's knife, bread knife, carving knife, pairing knife and just a general utility knife.

They require no sharpening and work better than some of the higher end brands I have tried when I visit some of my friends.

I don't like to have a ton of knives. I just like a few good ones and these 5 are the only ones I will purchase from now on (I don't need for example a boning knife because for me it's easier to buy the product without bone then to try to take the bone out). They even have other cool knives (the ones Ming used to cut with - plastic or wooden ones). I have not tried them but they get good reviews on Amazon.

Check'em out if you'd like -
Sharper Image : Kitchen Knife Sets : MicroEdge 5-Piece Knife Set

The knives Ming Tsai uses are ceramic, from Kyocera, and outrageously expensive. You can buy ceramic knives from China, which are every bit as good as the Kyocera knives, for a lot less money. I believe I posted a coouple of links to ceramic knife sellers/manufacturers from China in another kinife thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom