"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 04-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Blade safe?

I have some old crappy knives in one of those big bugly (ugly and bulky) wooden blocks. Starting to replace them with some better knives (not that they improve my cooking) and with the two new ones I have, the boning knife will go in one of the slots, however, the 8" chef's knife will not fit as the blade is too tall. Saw these blade safes on Amazon and was wondering if anyone here uses them. No reviews under 3 stars on Amazon and only one of those.

Amazon.com: Victorinox 47302 Cutlery BladeSafe for 6-Inch to 8-Inch Knife Blades: Kitchen & Dining

I have a small kitchen with a grand total of 5 drawers and only 2 available for knives and silverware. Absolutely hate the wall mounted magnetic strips, so those are out. Currently the chef's knife resides in a sheath made of piece of manila folder to protect the edge as well as groping fingers (mine).

Old 04-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a couple of these
They reside in a drawer somewhere.
I use a magnetic strip, but have it mounted under a cupboard, rather than on a wall. I would certainly suggest something to protect your hand from the blade, let alone the blade.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Cook

My knife safe says it was made by Lamson Sharp, but it is probably the same item. My 8" chef's knife fits perfectly and it stays closed securely. I do not know if all knives will fit. It may depend on the bolster, but there is a fair amount of room for the bolster.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a couple of blade safes which I use when traveling. They are generic and should fit any brand of knife. As I don't use them frequently, I cannot attest to how well they would hold u with frequent daily use.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I have used those in the past for daily use as well as traveling. They hold up great and are fine for everyday use. That price is very high though I think. I seem to remember paying about $3 a piece for mine. Of course that was about 10 years ago so maybe the prices have gone up.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I did a quick search and found them more in line with the price I remember.

Knife safe - Google Search
Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye59 View Post
Starting to replace them with some better knives (not that they improve my cooking) and with the two new ones I have, the boning knife will go in one of the slots, however, the 8" chef's knife will not fit as the blade is too tall.
They won't magically improve your cooking. They will cut down on frustration so you have more patience and they can make you feel "more like a chef". That will get you in the right mindset to be a better cook.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Blade safes work quite well. Only problem I've had is that the rubber snubbers cause some minor discoloration on the sides of certain blades (e.g. MAC). Last ones I purchased, as well as a MAC knife, online were from Northwest Cutlery. They seemed to have had the best price and variety.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They won't magically improve your cooking. They will cut down on frustration so you have more patience and they can make you feel "more like a chef". That will get you in the right mindset to be a better cook.
I thought that was bourbon that did that