Bought a Block of Knives, Now What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, one more thing I forgot: the utility & small santoku would make fine steak knives, too. I usually use a petty or utility for that if there's not a decent steak knife in the place.

. I listed several knives and I'd like the REGULAR COOKS here to help me with what knife could do what.

I probably qualify as a regular cook, and my accumulation of knives will not impress anybody, but my food sometimes does. I have an odd assortment of Forged Henckels, Forschner, OXO MV-55 Pro, and Chicago Cutlery that I keep as sharp as carborundum, hard Arkansas, and a fine cut steel that is worn nearly smooth are able.

My take on knife sets is that the savings is usually substantial enough that if a couple of knives turn out to be redundant or useless that you can call them the “free” ones you get from set savings and you are not really out anything.

Knives are also very personal. I have never really liked my 6½” OXO Santoku, but it is my wife’s favorite knife. She won’t touch my favorite Forschner 8” chef’s knife.

For some, a chef's knife might be a favored tool when cubing a shoulder roast for chili or grinding, but I find that more agile shorter blades of a boning knife or utility knife more to my liking. I won't even admit to how many paring knives we have.

With the exception of the 5" Santoku, equivalents of all the knives in your set are in my knife drawer and used with a fair amount of frequency. Sometimes, knives that don't see frequent use will end up being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Rob ~ a big hug to you. Thank you for the very valuable information. You made the set far more worthwhile than I thought it was a couple of hours ago. I know I have to use them to appreciate them but your comments definitely give me guidelines to start slicing and dicing.

I am not working so I'm cooking during the day. I can't wait to try out the knives on differnt things using your suggestions.

so, you were just looking for affirmation then ?

Nice try Jim. I'm a knife nerd and I have Japanese Petties (that's what they call them over there) in 140 and 150mm as well as Sabatier carbon steel utility knives in 5, 6, and 7" lengths and a few others.

Buzz

Sabatier? Did I hear carbon steel Sabatier knives? :innocent:

They are my favorites.......

so, you were just looking for affirmation then ?

I hope I'm misinterpreting you, but your post reads to me like you're just looking to belittle Callisto.

Let's take a look at the first post in the thread, it seems like you never read that.
Okay so I bought a knife block and it came with different knives but no instructions as to what is best with what. Any suggestions? Here's the list.

9" Bread
8" Chef's
7" Santoku
5" Santoku
5" Utility
5" Boning
3 1/2" Paring
3" Petite Paring Knives

Obviously I know what to do with the bread knife, but that's about it. Any suggestions for the rest would be appreciated.

What she was looking for, and what she thanked Rob for, were some tips on how to get the best use out of the knives she purchased.

OK folks, back on track. If you want to discuss these other things then please take it to PM. If you would like to discuss what Callisto can do with each of her new knives then post here. Thanks.

Jim, did you mean to make your post that big???

SShepherd, I'm sorry, WHAT??? Your post doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't knowingly do anything to change the type size in my post and on my browser it looks the same size as all the other posts. Sorry.

Are all simple knife discussions around here subject to such brutal hijacking?

They do tend to go that way Jim, but we try very hard to keep them on track so with that in mind, everyone, lets get back to Callisto's original question. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom