"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Bought a Block of Knives, Now What?

Okay so I bought a knife block and it came with different knives but no instructions as to what is best with what. Any suggestions? Here's the list.

9" Bread
8" Chef's
7" Santoku
5" Santoku
5" Utility
5" Boning
3 1/2" Paring
3" Petite Paring Knives

Obviously I know what to do with the bread knife, but that's about it. Any suggestions for the rest would be appreciated.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

The chefs knife is what you will use for 99% of everything. Either that or whichever Santoku you like better. There is really no reason to that a 7" and a 5" Santoku. That is a complete waste.

The boning knife you will use for boning work obviously.

The 3.5 and 3" paring knives are redundant as well. You do not need both. Pick which one you like better and that is the one you will use. This knife will be used for fine delicate work. things like hulling strawberries and stuff like that. i use mine for cutting grapes in half for my son. I could use a chefs or santoku for that, but the paring knife is small and the grapes are small so that works perfectly for me.

The utility knife is pretty useless. Whatever you would use that for you could use the chef or santoku for.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef

So I guess the question becomes why did the manufacturer decide that this was a good combo and AGAIN for the umpteenth time in a week I feel like a total fool.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Knife sets are usually a waste of money. Manufactures know they can get people to buy a whole bunch of lower quality stuff it they bundle it all together. It makes it seem like you are getting a deal. Wow I get 10 knifes for XX dollars. When in reality you would generally be better off getting 2 or three knives of better quality that may cost a little more per knife, but there will be no waste.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Executive Chef

If only this was lower quality and cheap. I think I've figured out the next move I'll make with my money. I'm going out and having SUCKER tattoo'd on my face.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Head Chef

That's the big reason I usually don't care for block sets- it's a way to move the "fluff" pieces that you don't need. They put a few useful knives in there and pad it with junk, or at least stuff that you wouldn't spend the money on otherwise. My classic examples are scissors/kitchen shears and the steel. Sure, a kitchen shears is handy but would you pay $50 for them? And the ribbed "sharpening" steel included in nearly every block is really hard on a knife; it shouldn't even be used, much less included in a block.

I have seen a few block sets that included a good mix of knives but overall you're better off buying a block or Mag-Blok and getting the knives separately.

The Chef knife and Santoku are basically interchangeable. I occasionally prefer the latter for slicing some types of fruits and veggies. The main advantage the santoku has is that among the cheaper knives it will usually be thinner than the Chef's knife. Beyond that it's personal preference. I agree that there's too much overlap there. There isn't much point to including an 8" Chef & a 7" Santoku. And no need for a 5" Santoku & a 5" utility. And I really can't imagine needing paring knives 1/2" different.

What brand are they, if I may ask?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
What brand are they, if I may ask?
Um, kind of, NO, because you're a knife snob, which works for you, and you probably wouldn't understand why I bought what I bought.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Um, kind of, NO, because you're a knife snob, which works for you, and you probably wouldn't understand why I bought what I bought.
No offense meant! And I prefer "knife nerd" to "knife snob," thank you!

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to spend a ton on knives, either. Whatever works for you is good.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

The best thing to do is to start using them they will be doing you no good in the block
Old 02-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Master Chef

IMO they only ones you need are a chef's knife, a paring knife and a serrated bread knife. And poultry shears.

A boning knife is handy if you butcher and bone meat, otherwise you dont need it.

A santuko is a good addition but you don't need two, especially a little one. Nor do you need 2 paring knives.

Can you return them?