"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Butcher Block

Hello everyone! I just wanted to thank everyone for all their input on the difference of cutting boards on another thread I had posted. Well, I was at Ross today, and I stumbled on a nice butcher block! I thought it was going to be pricey, but I got it for $5.99!!! It is this one:

http://www.mountainwoods.com/moreinf...uct_ID=107.htm

What do you think? I dont know really what the difference between grains are or the importance, but I think this was a super buy! Thanx again!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Did you get it for $5.99 or $59.99? If you got it for $6 then let me know and I will buy 4 or 5 of them!!! If it was 60 bucks then you still got a very good deal. This board is an end grain which is the best. It is the most gentle on your blade. Congrats on a great purchase. You did well!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

GB, I got it for $6!!!! at Ross. I could swear that the price was changed, or there was a mistake, because a small plastic board was more expensive! I'll take a pic with the price tag in a bit so I can post it. What is the difference between the grains, and why if I may ask? I would like to be knowlegeable so I can teach others of what to look for.

Also, do I need to treat this with mineral oil? What kind of mineral oil? The one you find at a local supermarket? Thanx again!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Where's Ross and how do you get there?! Wow, you sure did get a bargain! I followed your original thread with interest, too. I knew I needed a new cutting surface and hadn't decided. I ended up buying plastic because it was inexpesive and easy to replace. I paid $8 for an over the sink board at the Corning/Revere store. -Sandyj
Old 08-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

You got a seriously GREAT deal! If they have any more then go back a buy them and give them out as gifts. If you know anyone who cooks then they will love you for it!!!

Yes you want to treat it with food grade mineral oil. Go to your local drug store and look in the laxative section. You want to get the oil to soak in well so pour a bunch on and let it soak in overnight then in the morning scrap off the excess. I have never owned a wood board sadly so I am sure someone will come along and give you more detailed and accurate directions for using the oil.

The best description of end grain that I ever heard (I think it was from Alton Brown) went something like this. Alton took a handful of uncooked dried spaghetti and looked at it head on so he was looking at the top of all the pieces. If you then picture a knife sliding down between the strands then that is what is happening with end grain wood. The knife actually slides down between the wood fibers. As you withdraw the knife the board sort of self heals as the fibers come back together again. OK I did not explain that very clearly so hopefully someone else will do a better job, but maybe you got the gist of it.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I know now exactly what you mean! Great anaolgy!

Unfortunately, I got the last one. Im anxious to try it out. All my experiences have been with "wal-mart" laminated wood boards. I notice that these give off powdered wood when you are chopping/slicing/dicing with a really sharp knife!

I'm off to buy the mineral oil! Thanx a bunch!

Oh, by the way, I found this site if anyone is intersted:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cutti...s/AllAbout.htm
Old 08-17-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Have fun with it. You are going to love it!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
Master Chef

GB's anology is about as good as any way I could think of trying to describe an end-grain board. Good job GB!!!

WOW - that is a GREAT board .... and I can't believe the price!!! What a deal!

NEVER use anything except mineral oil on your board - vegetable, nut and animal oils will go rancid. Oil your board once or twice a day until it stops absorbing oil - this might take a few days. Just give it a good heavy dose of oil ... and repeat until it stops absorbing the oil - then it's ready to use. My edge-grain board took about 3 days, my end-grain board took about a week.

Regarding the mineral oil - just get the stuff from the drugstore (probably labeled Mineral Oil USP). That's medical grade mineral oil. Food grade mineral oil is certified by a different government agency ... since it's intended for use in food preperation. They are, for all practical purposes, the same thing ... although food grade allows some things not allowed in medical grade - and usually costs more.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Ross is a discount store - like Marshall's or TJMax - and you can get some great bargains there!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I just oiled it! Can't wait so everything can be absored and I can start chopping away!