Butterflying Knife - 2 blade knife made for butterflying meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCW

Assistant Cook
I'm new here and just wanted to see if you guys had ever owned, used, or seen, one of these knives? I came across it while searching for a stuffed pork chop recipe and saw some links on YouTube of how it works. It has a modular blade that removes to make different width butterfly cuts. I would like to purchase one, but can't locate a dealer or website to do so. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JCW

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pybF2NuRc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That's pretty wild. So one cutting motion does two things, cuts through the meat and butterflies your piece. The one blade must be set lower, or maybe a wider blade, in order to stop so you don't cut all the way through with the butterfly blade.
Neat gadget.

A solution looking for a problem.

I wonder how well it would work on a chicken breast half that doesn't have a regular shape.

Not sure how it would work on a chicken breast. I would like to have one to use on larger tenderloins. Venison and other game, Tuna, Cobia, Swordfish, Pork, Lamb, Beef (Ribeye & Filets) to prep for stuffing. I saw another link of it being used on venison. I've been using a stuffed venison recipe for years that is a hit every time I prepare it, but the prep time is pretty long. This knife would cut the prep time in half and eliminate waist from me accidentally cutting thru the tenderloin with a regular knife and ruining the butterfly.

One thing to think about, is cutting with two blades at the same time would require twice the effort. At least in theory... but yes, you do end up with the finished product when done.

JCW, have you tried setting up "stops" for the knife blade when butterflying? Something for the knife blade to hit before cutting all the way through, like a couple chopsticks?

No, I haven't tried the chopstick method. I am going to continue to try and acquire one of the butterflying knives, but will try that method in the mean time.
I could probably make that cut with a really sharp knife as well and have done so, but when I try to do it quickly I will accidentally cut thru the loin and ruin the butterfly or cut myself....I'm NO chef, but I do love to cook. I like the precision & uniformity that the Butterflying knife creates.

Just as an aside, I don't butterfly a pork loin like that when I intend to stuff it. I make a little cut on the edge and open up the cut inside the chop leaving a relatively small opening so stuffing doesn't spill out.

Found these pics of the Butterflying knife online, but haven't located the dealer yet. Just thought I would share. It's listed as The Patented "Camphouse Creations Butterflying Knife".
Please give an update if you find a place to purchase the knife. I gotta try that thing out!!

Attachments

• image-815477878.jpg
    image-815477878.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 270
  • image-3079538514.jpg
    image-3079538514.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 265
Found these pics of the Butterflying knife online, but haven't located the dealer yet. Just thought I would share. It's listed as The Patented "Camphouse Creations Butterflying Knife".
Please give an update if you find a place to purchase the knife. I gotta try that thing out!!

Where did you find those pics? Could you post the site?

The pics were attached to the Camphouse Creations YouTube user page where I came across the video. I sent the user a message on YouTube, but haven't heard back yet. I'll update what is sent back if anything. Pretty much just asked where I could purchase one and the price...

I got a reply from the YouTube message I sent. The Camphouse Creation person said that "this product is patented and ready for production, but not on the market yet. It will be available very soon in stores and on the CC website".

I'll post my reviews about it when I aquire one.

That Smartco has an interesting website. Products for sale, but no pricing.

Glad you like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom