"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #11
Sous Chef

With all of the options available you can drive yourself crazy making a selection, and you are proving that!

I have a 7" Wusthof (unusual size) that I've had for decades, and use it for just about everything in the kitchen. The paring knife is used on occasion, and the bread knife is used even less. The only knife I would be concerned about is the chef's knife. But as a home cook, I wouldn't overthink it.

Here's ATK's opinion:

Old 06-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Nice video. Sounds like the Victorinox is the hands down choice and you can't beat the price!

Old 06-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks so much everyone. And thanks very much to you, tenspeed for the ATK review. The carbon knife they said was the best is a work or art but too expensive and too high maintenance for me. The Forschner Victorinox is right up my alley and at 40 bucks a huge bargain.

I looked at sets but they come with to many knives I don't need. My cheap steak knives are fine for me. I don't use my paring knife much so my cheap one is fine. I want a good chefs knife, a good slicing knife and a good bread knife. I watched all ATKs reviews on these knives and in every case they give Forschner the highest ratings. I'm looking forward to getting the book for the knowledge I will gain but I may buy the Forschner before I get the book.

BTW, I watched a whole ton of ATK,s reviews. I got lost watching them. I watched reviews of things I don't even want simply because the reviews are so well done and so thoroughly researched. They are GREAT!

As for sharpening, I'm not sure what I will do. I do not have the sharpening gene. I can never get the angle right. ATK recommends an electric one which surprised me. I will read the book and decide on how to proceed with something I'm not good at.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
Thanks so much everyone. And thanks very much to you, tenspeed for the ATK review. The carbon knife they said was the best is a work or art but too expensive and too high maintenance for me. The Forschner Victorinox is right up my alley and at 40 bucks a huge bargain.
My ex-wife has that very knife and absolutely loves hers.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post

As for sharpening, I'm not sure what I will do. I do not have the sharpening gene. I can never get the angle right. ATK recommends an electric one which surprised me. I will read the book and decide on how to proceed with something I'm not good at.

Thanks again everyone.
I use the Chef's Choice 3 stage and it's great. I use the second and third stages about twice a year on my Wusthoff blades, but have never needed the first stage for them. The only time I've used the first stage is when sharpening a couple of my mom's old knives after she passed. She never understood sharpening either, and just used the sharpener on the back of her electric can opener, and even that not nearly often enough.

She had a set of Chicago Cutlery that were actually pretty good knives, but just badly abused. I fixed a couple of them up with the Chef's Choice and they seem to be nearly as good as my Wusthoff knives. They take a good edge and hold it reasonably well.

You might look at Dexter Russell knives too (Amazon carries them - LINK Check the reviews). They are even less expensive than Victorinox, and you see them in a lot of commercial kitchens. I have a friend who owns and operates a restaurant and that's all he uses. The only one I have is a bread knife, which I like a lot, but I can't really rate the rest from personal experience.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Buying knives makes my head swim

We have the Chef's Choice 3 stage as well. DH loves it, and would happily sharpen my knives daily. I don't allow him, don't want my knives turned into toothpicks.

I have more knives than I should. Some gifts, some inherited, very few purchased by me.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I use the Chef's Choice 3 stage and it's great. I use the second and third stages about twice a year on my Wusthoff blades, but have never needed the first stage for them. The only time I've used the first stage is when sharpening a couple of my mom's old knives after she passed. She never understood sharpening either, and just used the sharpener on the back of her electric can opener, and even that not nearly often enough.

She had a set of Chicago Cutlery that were actually pretty good knives, but just badly abused. I fixed a couple of them up with the Chef's Choice and they seem to be nearly as good as my Wusthoff knives. They take a good edge and hold it reasonably well.

You might look at Dexter Russell knives too (Amazon carries them - LINK Check the reviews). They are even less expensive than Victorinox, and you see them in a lot of commercial kitchens. I have a friend who owns and operates a restaurant and that's all he uses. The only one I have is a bread knife, which I like a lot, but I can't really rate the rest from personal experience.
For what it's worth, the Dexter knives RP linked to above are the ones I earlier mentioned buying from a local restaurant supplier. I have the 8" chef, 6" utility, and the paring knives. They're neither pretty not status symbols but I'm happy with them. I think all the knives you're looking at are good.
As far as sharpening genes go, I don't there is such a thing. But don't buy stones if you don't want to. For me, it's kind of a zen thing that I enjoy without the need for a yoga mat.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

If didn't have good knives and wanted to get some good knives, I'd go with the Victorinox. At that price it's hard to beat.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If didn't have good knives and wanted to get some good knives, I'd go with the Victorinox. At that price it's hard to beat.
That's what I'm sold on, Andy. If I had to go less expensive I would but the Victorinox are more than affordable for me. I'll feel like I'm getting a bargain! Good knives without going to the poor house to buy them

I noticed that the reviewer on ATK had hands just like mine although mine are ugly hands with bent fingers at the joints and her's are not. She never said how they worked for her, though

I bet I'll decide to order them either this evening or tomorrow. I don't use knives like I use my dog grooming equipment where the fit to my hand is of greatest importance since I use them all the time every day. I'm just a weekend cook.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

I think you'll like it, Liz. The handle is comfortable and it's a fairly light weight knife.

Tags
knives