"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #11
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 802
With all of the options available you can drive yourself crazy making a selection, and you are proving that!

I have a 7" Wusthof (unusual size) that I've had for decades, and use it for just about everything in the kitchen. The paring knife is used on occasion, and the bread knife is used even less. The only knife I would be concerned about is the chef's knife. But as a home cook, I wouldn't overthink it.

Here's ATK's opinion:
__________________

__________________
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,394
Nice video. Sounds like the Victorinox is the hands down choice and you can't beat the price!
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Moselle MS
Posts: 408
Thanks so much everyone. And thanks very much to you, tenspeed for the ATK review. The carbon knife they said was the best is a work or art but too expensive and too high maintenance for me. The Forschner Victorinox is right up my alley and at 40 bucks a huge bargain.

I looked at sets but they come with to many knives I don't need. My cheap steak knives are fine for me. I don't use my paring knife much so my cheap one is fine. I want a good chefs knife, a good slicing knife and a good bread knife. I watched all ATKs reviews on these knives and in every case they give Forschner the highest ratings. I'm looking forward to getting the book for the knowledge I will gain but I may buy the Forschner before I get the book.

BTW, I watched a whole ton of ATK,s reviews. I got lost watching them. I watched reviews of things I don't even want simply because the reviews are so well done and so thoroughly researched. They are GREAT!

As for sharpening, I'm not sure what I will do. I do not have the sharpening gene. I can never get the angle right. ATK recommends an electric one which surprised me. I will read the book and decide on how to proceed with something I'm not good at.

Thanks again everyone.
__________________
LizStreithorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
Thanks so much everyone. And thanks very much to you, tenspeed for the ATK review. The carbon knife they said was the best is a work or art but too expensive and too high maintenance for me. The Forschner Victorinox is right up my alley and at 40 bucks a huge bargain.
My ex-wife has that very knife and absolutely loves hers.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post

As for sharpening, I'm not sure what I will do. I do not have the sharpening gene. I can never get the angle right. ATK recommends an electric one which surprised me. I will read the book and decide on how to proceed with something I'm not good at.

Thanks again everyone.
I use the Chef's Choice 3 stage and it's great. I use the second and third stages about twice a year on my Wusthoff blades, but have never needed the first stage for them. The only time I've used the first stage is when sharpening a couple of my mom's old knives after she passed. She never understood sharpening either, and just used the sharpener on the back of her electric can opener, and even that not nearly often enough.

She had a set of Chicago Cutlery that were actually pretty good knives, but just badly abused. I fixed a couple of them up with the Chef's Choice and they seem to be nearly as good as my Wusthoff knives. They take a good edge and hold it reasonably well.

You might look at Dexter Russell knives too (Amazon carries them - LINK Check the reviews). They are even less expensive than Victorinox, and you see them in a lot of commercial kitchens. I have a friend who owns and operates a restaurant and that's all he uses. The only one I have is a bread knife, which I like a lot, but I can't really rate the rest from personal experience.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,130
Buying knives makes my head swim

We have the Chef's Choice 3 stage as well. DH loves it, and would happily sharpen my knives daily. I don't allow him, don't want my knives turned into toothpicks.

I have more knives than I should. Some gifts, some inherited, very few purchased by me.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I use the Chef's Choice 3 stage and it's great. I use the second and third stages about twice a year on my Wusthoff blades, but have never needed the first stage for them. The only time I've used the first stage is when sharpening a couple of my mom's old knives after she passed. She never understood sharpening either, and just used the sharpener on the back of her electric can opener, and even that not nearly often enough.

She had a set of Chicago Cutlery that were actually pretty good knives, but just badly abused. I fixed a couple of them up with the Chef's Choice and they seem to be nearly as good as my Wusthoff knives. They take a good edge and hold it reasonably well.

You might look at Dexter Russell knives too (Amazon carries them - LINK Check the reviews). They are even less expensive than Victorinox, and you see them in a lot of commercial kitchens. I have a friend who owns and operates a restaurant and that's all he uses. The only one I have is a bread knife, which I like a lot, but I can't really rate the rest from personal experience.
For what it's worth, the Dexter knives RP linked to above are the ones I earlier mentioned buying from a local restaurant supplier. I have the 8" chef, 6" utility, and the paring knives. They're neither pretty not status symbols but I'm happy with them. I think all the knives you're looking at are good.
As far as sharpening genes go, I don't there is such a thing. But don't buy stones if you don't want to. For me, it's kind of a zen thing that I enjoy without the need for a yoga mat.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,394
If didn't have good knives and wanted to get some good knives, I'd go with the Victorinox. At that price it's hard to beat.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Moselle MS
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If didn't have good knives and wanted to get some good knives, I'd go with the Victorinox. At that price it's hard to beat.
That's what I'm sold on, Andy. If I had to go less expensive I would but the Victorinox are more than affordable for me. I'll feel like I'm getting a bargain! Good knives without going to the poor house to buy them

I noticed that the reviewer on ATK had hands just like mine although mine are ugly hands with bent fingers at the joints and her's are not. She never said how they worked for her, though

I bet I'll decide to order them either this evening or tomorrow. I don't use knives like I use my dog grooming equipment where the fit to my hand is of greatest importance since I use them all the time every day. I'm just a weekend cook.
__________________
LizStreithorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,394
I think you'll like it, Liz. The handle is comfortable and it's a fairly light weight knife.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
knives

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.