Buying knives makes my head swim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing I'm worried about is the 12" slicing knife. However will I store a monster like that? Can I wrap it an a towel and stick it in the drawer?

A 12 inch knife is waaaay too long to be useful to me and I'm a tall gal with big hands and a confident cook ....

Personally, I'd consider switching it out for a shorter one. My slicing knife is 8 inches and does the job well

A 12 inch knife is waaaay too long to be useful to me and I'm a tall gal with big hands and a confident cook ....

Personally, I'd consider switching it out for a shorter one. My slicing knife is 8 inches and does the job well

I bought what ATC recommended. I'll use it mostly for slicing roasts. I don't like it when I slice and the slices aren't even. Here's the video that made me decide to buy this monster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gZ2hFBXyiY

I bought what ATC recommended. I'll use it mostly for slicing roasts. I don't like it when I slice and the slices aren't even. Here's the video that made me decide to buy this monster.

That was a very good video!

They make a good point about making sure your slicing knife is long enough so that the slice is even and not torn.

I usually don't have huge roasts to slice; the largest might be a 25 pound turkey, so my shorter blade works fine. I think a 12 inch knife would feel more like a sword to me!

That said, YOU will be using it and if it feels good to you and performs well then that's all that matters!!

In my kitchen it's more convenient if the knives that fit in the block are kept in the block. I have counter space. What I don't have is a lot of space between the counter and the bottom of my upper cabinets. The carpenter made it that way when he built my house because I'm short. I'd prefer to put the monster in a sheath and put it in the drawer. I just want to give it a place where it will be safe.

Jennyema you may be correct about the monster knife. I based my decision on the lady who did the video and the reviews of the knife on Amazon. Truth is I won't know until I try it.

Liz, if push comes to shove, you could make a sheath out of cardboard and masking tape to store it in the drawer. I have plastic guards and cardboard guards that came with my knives, acquired a couple of all-purpose guards along the way, and a couple of home-made cardboard ones to cover knives that came nekkid. They all keep the blade safe and away from your hand. If you have the dexterity to trim dogs and such, you've got this blade sheath making thing *ahem* covered. ;)

I don't even have a slicing knife. Either I use my 7-inch santoku chef's knife or, more often, my husband uses the 9-inch chef's knife that came with my culinary school knife kit. But I make don't make whole roasts very often and when I do, they're just two or three pounds.

Yes, my Goddess, I can do that easily. I had just never thought of it. Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

An empty paper towel tube would work as a sheath, just cut down one side, lay the knife on the cut tube and fold to fit. Use duct tape on the pointy end to keep it tight.

I also don't have a slicing knife. I use an 8" carving knife. If I'm serving a prime rib roast, no one will be complaining about the slicing marks on the meat.

I do have 2 carving sets (fork and knife). I got a Forschner carving set for a gift years ago, and I inherited my father's carving set when he passed. That said, I mostly just use my 10" chef because it's handier to just pull it out of the block. :LOL:

I feel like a knife idiot. I have five Japanese knives. Two ordered online, pricey but very, very...everything else comes to me second-hand, from thrift stores. Mostly higher end cutlery, in good to excellent condition. I've been lucky that way. I have only one "set," an oddball three piece Michael Graves designer set, 8"chef, 5" utility and 2" parer. They are impossible to find now, and actually pretty good knives. Came in a blister pack, I paid $8 for them.

Me too. Only I have very small hands. I gave my 12" Shun knife to my son Spike. I hated to part with it as it was a gift from a very dear friend Ro. :angel:

It doesn't seem overly long to me and I'm 5'3" and have small hands and thick arthritic fingers. But I have yet to try it out. If I don't like it I'll let you know.

I wish the dang bread knife would arrive.

Kitchen knives are an investment. Anyone who is looking to buying them should, in my opinion, look to buying knives that will last a lifetime - go for the best, and get the best knife sharpener to go with them. Japanese knives are the best, but you can go for a set of French kitchen knives that work almost as well. Then you need to know how to use them, and, most important, how to keep them and how to sharpen them.

My knives are years old, of the best quality, and they never let me down. Good knives are the main kitchen treasure - you treat them well and they give good service to you. But only buy the best.

di reston

Enough is never as good as good as a feast. Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom