"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I took a look at them, Goddess. Sorry, but I'm not impressed.
Wasn't trying to impress, just inform. Still, if you see a display sometime, give a peek. Not bad for the price. Given a choice between my Zwilling and a Rada? Even at 8 times the cost, I'll pick my Zwilling every time.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:02 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Wasn't trying to impress, just inform. Still, if you see a display sometime, give a peek. Not bad for the price. Given a choice between my Zwilling and a Rada? Even at 8 times the cost, I'll pick my Zwilling every time.
What impressed me the most is that it is American Made. And I do try to buy A.M. as often as it is available and is of real quality. I also went to Amazon and the majority of their product reviews are all five star. Some were 4.5, but when looking at those ratings, they sound like folks who never give any product a full five stars. I saw a lot of reviews that stated the handles were rather skimpy. Too small. Having arthritis, I need the chunkiness of Oxo handles. I can no longer give a thin knife handle a good solid safe grip.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
I have these cheap crap knives. I have looked at everything but can't decide. There is a specialty store in Hattiesburg where I could hold the knives in my hand but I don't want to go there knowing in my heart that I will find the same thing on line for less. It's a lovely place but expensive and I won't take advantage of them. If I take advantage of their expertise I will fee honor bound to buy from them.

I'm a dog groomer. I bought a lot of grooming shears on line. I spent a ton of money and ended up giving a lot of my expensive shears away because they simply weren't right in my hand. I started buying at grooming shows. The shears that I use most often are the ones I bought at shows. The sellers looked at my hand and suggested a shear that would fit me well.

I have decided that I need more education. I just purchased this book An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives -- How to Buy Them, Keep Them Razor Sharp, and Use Them Like a Pro: Chad Ward: 9780061188480: Amazon.com: Books Perhaps after I read it I'll know enough to go to the expensive store and show the lady my small thick fingered hands, see what she has and buy from her.
I feel it's important to try knives before you buy. All hands are different. You need to feel the balance and to know the knife fits comfortably in your hand and if it doesn't then don't buy it. After all - would you buy a pair of shoes that don't fit you just because you had tried them on and you didn't want to disappoint the shop-keeper?

Any shop-keeper who objects to the customer "just looking" but with an intent to buy when s/he finds the right thing, is the shop-keeper I wouldn't buy from!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I feel it's important to try knives before you buy. All hands are different. You need to feel the balance and to know the knife fits comfortably in your hand and if it doesn't then don't buy it. After all - would you buy a pair of shoes that don't fit you just because you had tried them on and you didn't want to disappoint the shop-keeper?

Any shop-keeper who objects to the customer "just looking" but with an intent to buy when s/he finds the right thing, is the shop-keeper I wouldn't buy from!
You're analogy about shoes and knives on the internet is a good one MC.
Guessing how shoes will feel on the feet or a knife in the hand is a crap shoot at best.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I didn't even know you needed to sharpen knives - I thought they came sharp and stayed that way.
Honing is as important as sharpening. This explains and illustrates why: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/k...ull-knife.html
Old 06-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #36
Senior Cook

I know that your right but I've just recently gotten more seriously interested in cooking, good equipment and tools. I groomed for years before I could even tell the difference between shears that fit my hand and ones that did not. If I went to cooking school I'm sure I'd learn in short order. The Kitchen Table (the store in Hattiesburg) offers cooking lessons. I may look into it but probably not...That place is more for people with money than for common folk like me. I have to go into town Wed. I'll stop buy and talk to them. They have a hand egg beater that I want made by OXO

The knives that I have decided upon are a far cut above (pun unintentional) what I have now. Besides, I can afford them! I'm sure that they will do just fine until I feel the need for something better.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #37
Senior Cook

I know that y'all are right about this but these knives are a far site better than what I'm using now which probably don't fit my hand. Honestly, I don't do enough knife work to know the difference. I only cook on my days off and only for myself. I make 2 big things eat a couple of meals or each and stick the left overs in the freezer. That way when I get tired of what I made on my days off I can always find something interesting to eat I made a while ago. Most of y'all are more serious cooks, have a family or at least a husband and cook every day.

At this point it matters not. I just ordered the knives. I feel confident that I'll be delighted with them. The only thing I'm worried about is the 12" slicing knife. However will I store a monster like that? Can I wrap it an a towel and stick it in the drawer?
Old 06-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
At this point it matters not. I just ordered the knives. I feel confident that I'll be delighted with them. The only thing I'm worried about is the 12" slicing knife. However will I store a monster like that? Can I wrap it an a towel and stick it in the drawer?
I wouldn't do that. Hopefully it will come with a knife guard - some kind of paper or plastic sheath that it fits into. You can put that in a drawer.

If you have the wall space, some people like using a magnetic knife holder: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13840861

I have a knife block like this: http://www.amazon.com/J-A-Henckels-I.../dp/B00BBOD8US
Old 06-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #39
Senior Cook

I'm hoping that it will come with a sheath of some kind but it wasn't mentioned. I have a knife block that came with my cheap set. It's slots are horizontal None of the slots will hold a 12" knife without 2 inches of the blade sticking out. I'll see what arrives and take it from there. I have a magnetic thing to hold my clipper blades at work. It's great and very handy to use. I'll buy one for this one knife if I have to.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:

Liz, get one of these for that long knife in a drawer.
Knife Guards, Knife Sheath, Knife Protector, Safe Knife Storage, knife sharpener, knife safe, sharpening steel, diamond sharpener, diamond steel, diamond stone, diamond sharpening stone, sharpeners, diamonds sharpeners, sharpening system, diamond wet

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knives