"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
The only thing I'm worried about is the 12" slicing knife. However will I store a monster like that? Can I wrap it an a towel and stick it in the drawer?
A 12 inch knife is waaaay too long to be useful to me and I'm a tall gal with big hands and a confident cook ....

Personally, I'd consider switching it out for a shorter one. My slicing knife is 8 inches and does the job well

Old 06-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Thanks Kayelle. I will buy that if it doesn't come in with a decent sheath of it's own.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
A 12 inch knife is waaaay too long to be useful to me and I'm a tall gal with big hands and a confident cook ....

Personally, I'd consider switching it out for a shorter one. My slicing knife is 8 inches and does the job well
I bought what ATC recommended. I'll use it mostly for slicing roasts. I don't like it when I slice and the slices aren't even. Here's the video that made me decide to buy this monster.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
I bought what ATC recommended. I'll use it mostly for slicing roasts. I don't like it when I slice and the slices aren't even. Here's the video that made me decide to buy this monster.

That was a very good video!

They make a good point about making sure your slicing knife is long enough so that the slice is even and not torn.

I usually don't have huge roasts to slice; the largest might be a 25 pound turkey, so my shorter blade works fine. I think a 12 inch knife would feel more like a sword to me!

That said, YOU will be using it and if it feels good to you and performs well then that's all that matters!!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #45
Head Chef

I like magnet bars like others said.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #46
Senior Cook

In my kitchen it's more convenient if the knives that fit in the block are kept in the block. I have counter space. What I don't have is a lot of space between the counter and the bottom of my upper cabinets. The carpenter made it that way when he built my house because I'm short. I'd prefer to put the monster in a sheath and put it in the drawer. I just want to give it a place where it will be safe.

Jennyema you may be correct about the monster knife. I based my decision on the lady who did the video and the reviews of the knife on Amazon. Truth is I won't know until I try it.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #47
Master Chef

Liz, if push comes to shove, you could make a sheath out of cardboard and masking tape to store it in the drawer. I have plastic guards and cardboard guards that came with my knives, acquired a couple of all-purpose guards along the way, and a couple of home-made cardboard ones to cover knives that came nekkid. They all keep the blade safe and away from your hand. If you have the dexterity to trim dogs and such, you've got this blade sheath making thing *ahem* covered.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Yes, my Goddess, I can do that easily. I had just never thought of it. Thanks for the excellent suggestion.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't even have a slicing knife. Either I use my 7-inch santoku chef's knife or, more often, my husband uses the 9-inch chef's knife that came with my culinary school knife kit. But I make don't make whole roasts very often and when I do, they're just two or three pounds.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Yes, my Goddess, I can do that easily. I had just never thought of it. Thanks for the excellent suggestion.
An empty paper towel tube would work as a sheath, just cut down one side, lay the knife on the cut tube and fold to fit. Use duct tape on the pointy end to keep it tight.

Tags
knives