"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 10-30-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
Master Chef
That's Yamaha!

I do have honestly admit I am not a big fan of Henkels either. Even though they've been making knives for a century or so.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Well (as the long time members can attest) personally I'm a fan of ceramic knives (which means no to both brands you're suggesting), but I have to admit--I *really* like the Henckel Twin Cuisine blades. They have a wonderful heft to them, a solid tang, good grip, and are incredibly well made. The only one I have is the 7" hollow edge santoku--but when you factor in that it's the only metal knife I have in my kitchen except for some Mac knives...

The Calphalons, on the other hand...I've tried the Katanas. They seem alright, but there's one major thing that turns me off about them--they get slippery. That, to me, is dangerous. I'd go with the Henckels.

(BTW, if your 20% off deal is one of those big postcards they send in the mail with the blue background, you can't use it on the Henckels...or the Wustof's...if you want Henckels at a discounted price, I'd recommend getting a Macy's card and waiting for one of their "cardholder special 20% off a day's shopping" things to arrive and buy them from there)

Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
Executive Chef
I can't comment on the Calphalon, as I've never tried them. I tried the Twin Cuisine, and really liked them. Ended up getting a 3 piece starter set on Amazon for about $120.00 USD. I priced the same set here in Toronto at just under $300.00.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I have Henckle's 5 star 7" santoku, 5" serrated utility, 4" paring knife and a 4 star 3" paring knife plus International classic boning knife and cleaver. The International line is made Toledo Spain. I especially like the 5 star.

I also have Calphalon Contemporary 8" chef's and 10" chef's knife plus one of thier 4 1/2" paring knives. Don't really care for the paring knife but I've never had to sharpen either of the chef's knives, just use the steel on them once in a while, and the are still razor sharp.

Comparing a santoku to a chef's knife isn't exactly fair but I like the Calphalon better than I like my Le Cordon Bleu 8" chef's knife.

The Calphalon is fairly heavy compared to other chef's knives and has a larger handle than my other knives but that's why I like it.

Another brand knife I like is Mundial.

Calphalon and Mundial are also made of the same high quality German steel as the Henckel's but the Calphalon is made in China and the mundial in Brazil.

also-the Henckel's santoku has some rust spots on it where as none of the Calphalon do and I don't treat any of them any differently.

I feel that both lines of knife are high quality cutlery

Henckle's also makes a line of cookware.
Ron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #15
Master Chef
I bought my mother a Calphalon Contemporary knife maybe 2 years ago and it was terrible.

It was clunky and didn't hold an edge. Reminded me somewhat of Chef Tony's knives.

Edited to add that I bought it when desperate because she had about 350 paring knives and no chef's knife in the house.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #16
Sous Chef
I had to cut down on what I brought to the boat - so I brought my Henkels. I like them alot, especially the tomato and paring knife. I've got the Calphalon Santoku from the set seen at BB & B. I love that knife and I use it all the time. I'd actually like to have another one and have actually thought about the Kyocera smaller ceramic santoku - but not on the boat!

Tatrat - the Katanas look beautiful - but the handles look awkward?????? I've got fairly small hands and I'd worry about them not being too comfortable - are they?????
I'm just lookin' for my "cheese"!
Harborwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #17
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I havent had problems with the handles, i find them quite comfortable. I do have big hands though...

I have never had issues with them getting slipery either.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #18
Senior Cook
I have two Calphalon knives and so far out of all of the knives I have owned they have been the best. They stay very sharp and are very comfortable to cut with. Even though Calphalon is a "pot and pan" making company they make their knives just as good as they do their pots and pans.
GROCERY LIST: What you spend half an hour writing, then forget to take with you to the store.
JCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:14 AM   #19
Senior Cook
Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Originally Posted by Gretchen
It is hard to advise you but I will mention that Henckels has always made knives. Calphalon makes pots and pans--and now makes them in China. That may not really matter--they can be just as good.
But as I said in another thread, I have never seen the need for a block of one kind of knives. I use probably 3 knives constantly and they are all different brands. A serrated bread knife--to me--is not worthy of spending a whole lot of money on. A chef's knife and a santoku are. Just something else to consider.
I wholeheartedly agree.

I have a nice santoku, chef's knife and a chinese cleaver.

My bread knife is a calphalon.
If you don't like chicken fried steak, then I don't like you.
Billdolfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 AM   #20
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Buy what's comfortable and is made with good steel. As long as it holds it's edge well and is comfortable... your set. Do not be taken in by the more knives though. For me I would start with:

8 inch chef
6 inch flexible boning knife
3 - 4 inch pearing knife
10 inch steel

Add on pieces:

10 inch chef
8 inch santuka
10 inch meat slicer
10 inch bread knife

I have a set of Anolon knives that replaced my 20 year old set of Chicago Cutlery and am very happy with them. Non-slip handles, good fit, hold a nice egde and a good value.

I use the top three 95% of the time. Get those pieces to start and then let friends and family buy you the others for gifts.

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote