Calphalon vs Henckels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LKJR

Assistant Cook
been looking at knife sets lately. time to do away with the wal-mart specials. Talked to a henckel rep and I'm sold on the twin cuisine set, I really like the way they feel. Went to bed bath & beyond today since I have a 20% off coupon, and the guy there is trying to sell me on the calphalon set. I've got reservations just because it's not a known knife manufacturer. It's a lot more knives for the money and they do feel pretty good in my hand.

Two different sets.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13462127&RN=395

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13585911

I"m set on the block because it keeps the knives handy, I rent right now so a magnetic strip isn't practical right now.

I cannot compare the two as I don't have any experience with the two sets.

Speaking in general terms, more knives for the money isn't necessarily the best criterion for knife selection.

If you're at BB&B, check the fine print on the coupon, they often exclude Henckels, All-Clad, Krups and other brands.

It's hard to imagine what need you would have for 20 knives and a block big enough to hold them all. I'd go for three or four good uality knives rather than a set.

I would definitely try more knives before I bought ANY... and try to talk to someone who doesn't have a specific product to sell. You may find a brand that you prefer to either of those you have looked at so far.

I personally use Wusthof exclusively, but I have chef friends who are just as passionate about several other brands. It's very important that whatever you choose feels like an extension of your arm when you are holding it properly.

what I can tell you, I love my calphelon set. I have the katana series at home(they are Darn sexy) and they hold up GREAT to anything I stock and maintain in the pro kitchen.

Though I do not use my "Katana" series at the shop, I would recomend the brand solely based on the price. If they maintain 1/3 as well as the Henckles, it is a solid buy.

If the Henckels were comfortable for you, then that is probably the set you can get. For me both the Henckels and Calphalon knives felt unbalanced to me, and didn't quite fit my hand. Honestly though, if you're going to be using your knives alot, go with the comfortable ones. Callouses suck.

It is hard to advise you but I will mention that Henckels has always made knives. Calphalon makes pots and pans--and now makes them in China. That may not really matter--they can be just as good.
But as I said in another thread, I have never seen the need for a block of one kind of knives. I use probably 3 knives constantly and they are all different brands. A serrated bread knife--to me--is not worthy of spending a whole lot of money on. A chef's knife and a santoku are. Just something else to consider.

I have to thank GB for letting us all know about FireFox :) Now I have a lot of tabs open. All but ONE tab, is open on a knife product. THANKS GB!!! I can't thank you enough for getting my brain more befuddled than it already is. SO MANY NICE things to look at and decide on.

I'll tell you what, you all pick out your best knife, then get one like it for me, and then send it to me .. that will take away all my decision making ROFLMAO .. hope you all know I'm just joking.

I like the handles on the: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=109086
Those are really nice. Thanks for the URL ;-)

To each there own. Lots of companies are into multi product production. Look at Yamaha, everything from motorcycles, to audio/video, to guitars, to keyboards...

If a company is known for good products, why not give em a shot. What if henckel started making pots and pans?

That's Yamaha!

I do have honestly admit I am not a big fan of Henkels either. Even though they've been making knives for a century or so.

Well (as the long time members can attest) personally I'm a fan of ceramic knives (which means no to both brands you're suggesting), but I have to admit--I *really* like the Henckel Twin Cuisine blades. They have a wonderful heft to them, a solid tang, good grip, and are incredibly well made. The only one I have is the 7" hollow edge santoku--but when you factor in that it's the only metal knife I have in my kitchen except for some Mac knives...

The Calphalons, on the other hand...I've tried the Katanas. They seem alright, but there's one major thing that turns me off about them--they get slippery. That, to me, is dangerous. I'd go with the Henckels.

(BTW, if your 20% off deal is one of those big postcards they send in the mail with the blue background, you can't use it on the Henckels...or the Wustof's...if you want Henckels at a discounted price, I'd recommend getting a Macy's card and waiting for one of their "cardholder special 20% off a day's shopping" things to arrive and buy them from there)

I can't comment on the Calphalon, as I've never tried them. I tried the Twin Cuisine, and really liked them. Ended up getting a 3 piece starter set on Amazon for about $120.00 USD. I priced the same set here in Toronto at just under $300.00.

I have Henckle's 5 star 7" santoku, 5" serrated utility, 4" paring knife and a 4 star 3" paring knife plus International classic boning knife and cleaver. The International line is made Toledo Spain. I especially like the 5 star.

I also have Calphalon Contemporary 8" chef's and 10" chef's knife plus one of thier 4 1/2" paring knives. Don't really care for the paring knife but I've never had to sharpen either of the chef's knives, just use the steel on them once in a while, and the are still razor sharp.

Comparing a santoku to a chef's knife isn't exactly fair but I like the Calphalon better than I like my Le Cordon Bleu 8" chef's knife.

The Calphalon is fairly heavy compared to other chef's knives and has a larger handle than my other knives but that's why I like it.

Another brand knife I like is Mundial.

Calphalon and Mundial are also made of the same high quality German steel as the Henckel's but the Calphalon is made in China and the mundial in Brazil.

also-the Henckel's santoku has some rust spots on it where as none of the Calphalon do and I don't treat any of them any differently.

I feel that both lines of knife are high quality cutlery

Henckle's also makes a line of cookware.

Last edited:
I bought my mother a Calphalon Contemporary knife maybe 2 years ago and it was terrible.

It was clunky and didn't hold an edge. Reminded me somewhat of Chef Tony's knives.

Edited to add that I bought it when desperate because she had about 350 paring knives and no chef's knife in the house.

I had to cut down on what I brought to the boat - so I brought my Henkels. I like them alot, especially the tomato and paring knife. I've got the Calphalon Santoku from the set seen at BB & B. I love that knife and I use it all the time. I'd actually like to have another one and have actually thought about the Kyocera smaller ceramic santoku - but not on the boat!

Tatrat - the Katanas look beautiful - but the handles look awkward?????? I've got fairly small hands and I'd worry about them not being too comfortable - are they?????

I havent had problems with the handles, i find them quite comfortable. I do have big hands though...

I have never had issues with them getting slipery either.

I have two Calphalon knives and so far out of all of the knives I have owned they have been the best. They stay very sharp and are very comfortable to cut with. Even though Calphalon is a "pot and pan" making company they make their knives just as good as they do their pots and pans.

Gretchen said:
It is hard to advise you but I will mention that Henckels has always made knives. Calphalon makes pots and pans--and now makes them in China. That may not really matter--they can be just as good.
But as I said in another thread, I have never seen the need for a block of one kind of knives. I use probably 3 knives constantly and they are all different brands. A serrated bread knife--to me--is not worthy of spending a whole lot of money on. A chef's knife and a santoku are. Just something else to consider.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I have a nice santoku, chef's knife and a chinese cleaver.

My bread knife is a calphalon.

Buy what's comfortable and is made with good steel. As long as it holds it's edge well and is comfortable... your set. Do not be taken in by the more knives though. For me I would start with:

8 inch chef
6 inch flexible boning knife
3 - 4 inch pearing knife
10 inch steel

Add on pieces:

10 inch chef
8 inch santuka
10 inch meat slicer
10 inch bread knife
cleaver

I have a set of Anolon knives that replaced my 20 year old set of Chicago Cutlery and am very happy with them. Non-slip handles, good fit, hold a nice egde and a good value.

JDP

I use the top three 95% of the time. Get those pieces to start and then let friends and family buy you the others for gifts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom