"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-27-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Calphalon vs Henckels

been looking at knife sets lately. time to do away with the wal-mart specials. Talked to a henckel rep and I'm sold on the twin cuisine set, I really like the way they feel. Went to bed bath & beyond today since I have a 20% off coupon, and the guy there is trying to sell me on the calphalon set. I've got reservations just because it's not a known knife manufacturer. It's a lot more knives for the money and they do feel pretty good in my hand.

Two different sets.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...3462127&RN=395

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=13585911

I"m set on the block because it keeps the knives handy, I rent right now so a magnetic strip isn't practical right now.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I cannot compare the two as I don't have any experience with the two sets.

Speaking in general terms, more knives for the money isn't necessarily the best criterion for knife selection.

If you're at BB&B, check the fine print on the coupon, they often exclude Henckels, All-Clad, Krups and other brands.

It's hard to imagine what need you would have for 20 knives and a block big enough to hold them all. I'd go for three or four good uality knives rather than a set.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I would definitely try more knives before I bought ANY... and try to talk to someone who doesn't have a specific product to sell. You may find a brand that you prefer to either of those you have looked at so far.

I personally use Wusthof exclusively, but I have chef friends who are just as passionate about several other brands. It's very important that whatever you choose feels like an extension of your arm when you are holding it properly.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:20 AM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
what I can tell you, I love my calphelon set. I have the katana series at home(they are Darn sexy) and they hold up GREAT to anything I stock and maintain in the pro kitchen.

Though I do not use my "Katana" series at the shop, I would recomend the brand solely based on the price. If they maintain 1/3 as well as the Henckles, it is a solid buy.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:25 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If the Henckels were comfortable for you, then that is probably the set you can get. For me both the Henckels and Calphalon knives felt unbalanced to me, and didn't quite fit my hand. Honestly though, if you're going to be using your knives alot, go with the comfortable ones. Callouses suck.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:04 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

It is hard to advise you but I will mention that Henckels has always made knives. Calphalon makes pots and pans--and now makes them in China. That may not really matter--they can be just as good.
But as I said in another thread, I have never seen the need for a block of one kind of knives. I use probably 3 knives constantly and they are all different brands. A serrated bread knife--to me--is not worthy of spending a whole lot of money on. A chef's knife and a santoku are. Just something else to consider.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I have to thank GB for letting us all know about FireFox :-) Now I have a lot of tabs open. All but ONE tab, is open on a knife product. THANKS GB!!! I can't thank you enough for getting my brain more befuddled than it already is. SO MANY NICE things to look at and decide on.

I'll tell you what, you all pick out your best knife, then get one like it for me, and then send it to me .. that will take away all my decision making ROFLMAO .. hope you all know I'm just joking.

I like the handles on the: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=-1&SKU=109086
Those are really nice. Thanks for the URL ;-)
Old 10-30-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have a variety of these, no need to buy the block set. Open stock purchases can save on $$$.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...92&KSKU=107019
Old 10-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
Master Chef

I don't know, to me it's just obvious. Why would you buy a knife from a pot maker?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

To each there own. Lots of companies are into multi product production. Look at Yamaha, everything from motorcycles, to audio/video, to guitars, to keyboards...

If a company is known for good products, why not give em a shot. What if henckel started making pots and pans?