Can I sharpen a knife with "teeth" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I looked around this site before I asked; I'm not sure what to do with my knives that are not that sharp anymore. Can I sharpen them or do they need to be replaced?

They are the kind that are serrated.

thnaks

Yes, they can be sharpened, but you only sharpen one side. Look closely at the balde and you'll easily determine which side has the serrations and which is solid, so you sharpen the solid side ONLY!

I wouldn't sharpen any knife with my teeth. It wold simply wear down the protective enamel too fast.:LOL:

If your serated knives are so dull as to be ineffective, then by all means, run them accross a sharpening steel first, since it doesn't remove metal. That may be all they need. If they actually need to be sharpened, go ahead and put then against a wet stone, as to have them professionally sharpened would probably cost you more than the knife is worth. They may not be as serrated, but they will be sharper.

Others may disagree with me, but that's my advise.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

i have a sharpener. but yeah, the knives are 25 years old and it's time to do something with them.

thanks all !!!

The Edgemaker Pro really does work well on most serrated knives. Otherwise you can sharpen on just the backside. True masochists can use files to do each individual serration!:ROFLMAO:

Serrated knofe sharpener

Chef's Choice makes a manual sharpener for serrated knives. It does a good job and costs around $35 (I think). I have one and it gets the job done.

. Otherwise you can sharpen on just the backside.

This is as funny as the title of the thread! good one! After so many years of EVOO, though, my backside is too soft. I prefer the Edgemaster! It does a phenominal job! :chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That was very interesting. It sounds like something to look into. Sounds like it would come in handy like the drill doctor does for the drill bits. Thanks for posting it.
I've been thinking about getting that set since I saw the video here.

I think I will start a poll to ask folks who have used it what they think. I want to make sure it is a good idea for my Henkels.

I really like my Edgemaker. I have tried it on an older brad knife and it brought it up sharper than when I bought it. Sliced really good bread in one swipe! It sets the edges at a 20° angle.

Back
Top Bottom