"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Where are our English men?
The beanstalk giant got them and ground their bones to make his bread.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef

The beanstalk giant got them and ground their bones to make his bread.
Or they went out in the midday sun, along with their dogs, who were mad.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Head Chef

So, did he ever come back to take any of you up on your advice? No indication that he ever even looked, certainly hasn't bothered to offer his thanks for your time. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but I get frustrated when I go to the trouble to compose a comprehensive response and then never even know if it was read by the original questioner.

By the way, I didn't reply here simply because I don't know any UK specific brands to recommend. I have Wustof, Chicago Cutlery, and an unbranded carbon steel chef knife that I picked up somewhere. They all seem to do fine for me. I keep them sharp and they all have decent steel and are comfortable to use.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin
So, did he ever come back to take any of you up on your advice? No indication that he ever even looked, certainly hasn't bothered to offer his thanks for your time. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but I get frustrated when I go to the trouble to compose a comprehensive response and then never even know if it was read by the original questioner.

By the way, I didn't reply here simply because I don't know any UK specific brands to recommend. I have Wustof, Chicago Cutlery, and an unbranded carbon steel chef knife that I picked up somewhere. They all seem to do fine for me. I keep them sharp and they all have decent steel and are comfortable to use.
Yes, it does happen a lot, and it is frustrating. What's so nice about DC is that we get into the discussion, and I think others benefit from all the opinions, even if the OP checks out.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #25
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
It all just becomes part of the archive, until someone asks the same question(probably in like 3 weeks or so), and adds to the multitude of opinions shared. I know it may seem gruff, but some of the folks could just use the search feature, and read to their hearts content.

There has never been a shortage of "One hit wonders" that come, ask for advice, and disappear, never to be heard from again. . .all part of the www.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
It all just becomes part of the archive, until someone asks the same question(probably in like 3 weeks or so), and adds to the multitude of opinions shared. I know it may seem gruff, but some of the folks could just use the search feature, and read to their hearts content.

There has never been a shortage of "One hit wonders" that come, ask for advice, and disappear, never to be heard from again. . .all part of the www.
I see the same thing on photography and golf forums too. And I agree that often the information helps someone else with the same problem who was too shy to ask the question themselves. I guess I was just raised to say please and thank you, and I find it disheartening that such simple politeness seems to be dying in many circles.

Anyway, eat well.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I wouldn't get worked up over it. Odds are he read the first few replies and made his decision. And, considering many of the recommendations, spent way too much money on a knife.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Maybe the OP could not get a license to purchase those potentially lethal items

Tags
cheap, knife