"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can someone help me find a cheap good knife set, please?

as the title says really, say my budget will be 50-60 for a good set no single knives tho please, thanks all who reply in advance :)

Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Go to Costco, Walmart, or a kitchen or restaurant supply store. I have a set of Chicago Cutlery we got as a wedding present, they're perfectly adequate.

The Knife forum here has some great information. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Just buy a set that looks well made and keep them sharp! Buy a sharpener to go with the set and use it often, even inexpensive knives can be adequate if kept sharp.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Mark, if you read through the threads in the knife forum, you will see consistent advice to not buy a set. You can cover just about all your cutlery needs with an 8" to 10" chef's knife, a 4" paring knife and a bread knife. Use the money you would spend on a set to buy these three knives.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mark, if you read through the threads in the knife forum, you will see consistent advice to not buy a set. You can cover just about all your cutlery needs with an 8" to 10" chef's knife, a 4" paring knife and a bread knife. Use the money you would spend on a set to buy these three knives.
Exactly.

There are also about a million and six other threads related to knives as pieces, and their individual utilizations, strengths, and weaknesses. Just use the search feature, and I am sure you will find some great reads.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Just buy a set that looks well made and keep them sharp! Buy a sharpener to go with the set and use it often, even inexpensive knives can be adequate if kept sharp.
A steel is for honing, sharpening is a whole other skill set. The home cook hones knives, realigns the burr, realigning the edge. Sharpening is to mill a edge. Seems nit picky, it's just a culinary peeve, sorry for my ocd:(
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

as seen on t.v. SHOWTIME knife set, from the same company that makes (set it and forget it) i bought 2 sets 1 as a gift and i love them i think i paid 29.00 usd about 6yrs ago for 21 pc set the storage block was extra but worth it you may also want to pick up as seen on t.v. Samurai pro knife sharpener i paid 14.00 usd at a local store however the knife set is extremely well built to last and they also look good.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
A steel is for honing, sharpening is a whole other skill set. The home cook hones knives, realigns the burr, realigning the edge. Sharpening is to mill a edge. Seems nit picky, it's just a culinary peeve, sorry for my ocd:(
Well, I guess it comes down to, do you want that scalpel honed or sharpened???
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Well, I guess it comes down to, do you want that scalpel honed or sharpened???
For a scalpel, I wouldn't worry, I would just open the surgical pack and go for it. . . so long as it isn't dull, if so, gonna need another shot of whiskey, and a thicker leather strap to bite on.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
For a scalpel, I wouldn't worry, I would just open the surgical pack and go for it.
LOL!

Tags
cheap, knife