"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Carbon Steel

(not to be confused with high carbon stainless steel). Plain old carbon steel is excellent. You have to keep it clean and dry, or it will rust and pit, but that's not so hard and it takes and holds an edge better than anything. Also, the hand made Japanese knives generally use either the Hitachi "blue" or "white" steel ingots (named for the color of the paper wrapper they come in), which are also types of non-stainless carbon steels, and are excellent. Old Hickory knives are made in the USA out of old fashioned carbon steel. They are inexpensive and, although they don't come from the factory very sharp, they can be easily sharpened up to a keen edge. I also found a website that has "new old stock" of the Thiers-Issard Sabatier carbon steel knives that used to be found in all good kitchens. I have the 10" and 8" chef knives and I use them all the time.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I share your enthusiasm. However there are quite a few (e.g. VG-10 and CPM S30V) that compare favorably. I use knives made from different steels depending on their intended use. Some are easier to sharpen, others more chip resistant, some have better edge retention (wear resistance), and some are thinner and more flexible.
My wife's everyday knife is a Shun petty knife made from SG-2.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Good Stainless

Yes, I have a couple of good stainless knives, too. I like my Henkel Four Star 8" chef's knife, and I have a 10", inexpensive (stamped) Dexter Russel which is really quite good. I have no idea what sort of stainless steel either one of them are made of, though, but they take a good edge and hold it fairly well.

Japan Woodworker sells a line of "Tosagata" knives that are hand made by Japanese farmers during the winter, of which I have four. They have the western style double bevel edge, which I like vs. the super traditional chisel edge. They are made from the blue or white carbon steel sandwiched between some softer metal. Hand forged.Traditional wooden handles. Very inexpensive and excellent edges. They are harder than my butcher's steel, though. I made a "steel" from a large borosilicate glass laboratory stirring rod and an old paint brush handle to take care of that. They go for around $30 - $80 each, depending on size and style.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
Yes, I have a couple of good stainless knives, too. I like my Henkel Four Star 8" chef's knife, and I have a 10", inexpensive (stamped) Dexter Russel which is really quite good. I have no idea what sort of stainless steel either one of them are made of, though, but they take a good edge and hold it fairly well.

Japan Woodworker sells a line of "Tosagata" knives that are hand made by Japanese farmers during the winter, of which I have four. They have the western style double bevel edge, which I like vs. the super traditional chisel edge. They are made from the blue or white carbon steel sandwiched between some softer metal. Hand forged.Traditional wooden handles. Very inexpensive and excellent edges. They are harder than my butcher's steel, though. I made a "steel" from a large borosilicate glass laboratory stirring rod and an old paint brush handle to take care of that. They go for around $30 - $80 each, depending on size and style.
Good to know. Do you prefer the blue or white?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Blue or White

No preference. I really can't tell the difference. But some of the real enthusiasts say the white will take the best edge.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Executive Chef

New West Knife Works is making Carbon Steel blades now. All USA made
Old 08-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Senior Cook

New West

Thanks, I will check them out.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post

On balance (price & performance) I think Dexter Russel US made HC stainless is a pretty good choice. On the other hand the Shun Elite 6" utility knife in SG2 at RC 64 for $135 seemed expensive at the time I bought it, but it takes and holds a marvelous edge that even tolerates my wife's abusive handling. Glad I bought it 3 1/2 years ago, particularly since it no longer seems to be available. The petite handle helps prevent my wife from exerting excessive torque.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Shun

I have never heard anyone say anything other than great praise for their Shun knives. They must be really good. Maybe someday...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Senior Cook

New West

btw I checked out the New West knives. Beautiful. I've got my eye on one. Just have to wait to catch my wife in a moment of weakness.