Carving Fork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I bought myself a carving fork. I never had one before and just used a cheap SS kitchen fork like the second image.

I have a set of Henckels Pro S knives and the matching fork was more expensive than I thought was appropriate.

While wandering around Costco Saturday, I walked past the Gunter Wilhelm display/demo booth. It's been there forever and they demo and sell individual pieces. I have all the knives I need but have always wanted a carving fork with sold/heavy tines for moving roasts and serving slices.

GW had this carving fork in the first image on display for $39.95. I bought it and used it last night for a 7-8 pound roast chicken and it works great.

The Costco GW booth sells all their knives for $29.95-$39.95 each with the cleaver going for $49.95.

Attachments

• model_222.jpg
    model_222.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 294
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 258
Nice!!! A good carving fork makes such a difference!

I've always used the same one for the past 25 years - it's from a carving set my parents got as a wedding present in 1960 :)

I am a sucker for estate sales. I have (more than) several sets of carving forks and knives. O look, it's at this unbelievabe price. Still in its' presentation box. Were they ever used? Nice long thin blade on the still sharp knife(s), some forks have a fancy twist betw/the handle before the tines straighten out again.

With all the fancy tools taking up drawer space, I am not a "carver". I slice and dice really well, and tear the meat if I forget to let it rest long enough, ahem. I have successfuly carved a turkey or three, not just pulled the meat off the bone and cut in pieces. Even so, after all these years, I refer to illustrations in a cookbook How-To while the roast cooks, just to make sure. I am blessed wth 2 Expert BIL's who are good carvers at holiday time, or when we made a roast for special dinners. And a SIL who likes to clean the carcass after dinner for tasty bite leftovers. I shoulda stayed married just for this.

For everyday at home types of roasts, I usually grab a dinner fork and use a sharp knife, usually, tho not always, a carving knife.

Did I mention I am left handed, and pretty near everything is backwards and what's on the platter does not take readily to reversals.

Well, I expect its should be a bit of a la-de-da experience. Carving forks do help anchor and hold better when properly placed. Ahh, Hams, Now this is when I like to use a carving fork. I knew there is one time it works better.

$40 for a fork? Ouch, I got mine from my mom, looks almost identical to yours and it was free lol!
America is expensive! That is about R360. I could buy a weeks worth of food with that.
I think I need to move!

I bought myself a carving fork. I never had one before and just used a cheap SS kitchen fork like the second image.

I have a set of Henckels Pro S knives and the matching fork was more expensive than I thought was appropriate.

While wandering around Costco Saturday, I walked past the Gunter Wilhelm display/demo booth. It's been there forever and they demo and sell individual pieces. I have all the knives I need but have always wanted a carving fork with sold/heavy tines for moving roasts and serving slices.

GW had this carving fork in the first image on display for $39.95. I bought it and used it last night for a 7-8 pound roast chicken and it works great.

The Costco GW booth sells all their knives for $29.95-$39.95 each with the cleaver going for $49.95.

I have one almost identical to that that I bought at Williams-Sonoma a couple of years ago. It is one of my better gadget purchases. it's strong enough to stick it into the cavity of a capon and lift it out of the pan and onto the cutting board without any other utensil. The straight tines make positioning it for carving easy. I have a good carving set that I inherited when my father died, but while I like the carving knife in the set, I swap the fork for this one. Not that the one in the set is a bad one, but this dedicated carving fork is just a better design.

I have that fork! I have the 11 piece Gunter Wilhem set I bought about 8 years ago and I am quite pleased with them. More pleased, in fact, than I was with the Henckles I had prior to buying the Gunters.

I did have a slight problem with two of the knives, but they replaced them immediately without argument. I realize it's just a fork, but I think you'll be happy with it, and know that if you ever have any problem with it, they will replace it free of charge.

I am a sucker for estate sales. I have (more than) several sets of carving forks and knives. O look, it's at this unbelievable price. Still in its' presentation box. Were they ever used? Nice long thin blade on the still sharp knife(s), some forks have a fancy twist between/the handle before the tines straighten out again.

With all the fancy tools taking up drawer space, I am not a "carver". I slice and dice really well, and tear the meat if I forget to let it rest long enough, ahem. I have successfully carved a turkey or three, not just pulled the meat off the bone and cut in pieces. Even so, after all these years, I refer to illustrations in a cookbook How-To while the roast cooks, just to make sure. I am blessed with 2 Expert BIL's who are good carvers at holiday time, or when we made a roast for special dinners. And a SIL who likes to clean the carcass after dinner for tasty bite leftovers. I shoulda stayed married just for this.

For everyday at home types of roasts, I usually grab a dinner fork and use a sharp knife, usually, tho not always, a carving knife.

Did I mention I am left handed, and pretty near everything is backwards and what's on the platter does not take readily to reversals.

Well, I expect its should be a bit of a la-de-da experience. Carving forks do help anchor and hold better when properly placed. Ahh, Hams, Now this is when I like to use a carving fork. I knew there is one time it works better.

I went to school when they didn't let you be left handed. Today I am grateful. I can carve with either hand. And you are right. Nothing is made for lefthanders. Try opening a can with a manual can opener. I still do it with my left hand. :angel:

$40 for a fork? Ouch, I got mine from my mom, looks almost identical to yours and it was free lol!
America is expensive! That is about R360. I could buy a weeks worth of food with that.
I think I need to move!

You'd be hard pressed to purchase a week's worth of food around here on $40.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

attachment.php

I use a fork like that in concert with a smaller stag handled curved carving fork to flip roasting turkeys from breast down to breast up.
I find that a fork with blunter tips can sometimes be preferable because it can help minimize damage to a cutting board.
Looks quite like the ~$70 Lamsonsharp 12" bayonet fork-

Attachments

• bayonet.jpg
    bayonet.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I went to school when they didn't let you be left handed. Today I am grateful. I can carve with either hand. And you are right. Nothing is made for lefthanders. Try opening a can with a manual can opener. I still do it with my left hand. :angel:
I'm a lefty but I only write with my left hand and do everything else like a right handed person. I never even noticed till someone pointed it out to me a few years back :LOL:

I can walk in to any thrift shop and find these carving forks galore. Go to an antique store and you will find sets of knife and forks from estate sales. I once saw a sterling silver set that was priced well below what you pay in the jewelry store. It was even in the presentation case. There are ones with the stag horn handles galore out there almost for the taking.

I personally prefer to go to the Salvation Army Thrift Stores. They train handicap folks to repair and to be on the selling floor. I have two that are accessable to me. One up on Route One. That is a hugmongous store. And the one in Chelsea reflects the community. The merchandise is of lesser quality and cost less. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom