Ceramic knife/knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in the past few months i've been reading a lot about ceramic knives compared to steel and honestly I can't see myself getting a ceramic knife for any reason.
I have noticed any off flavors from my higher quality knives, if worried about discoloration in something, there are ways to prevent it or keep it from happening just like any other food that discolors after being cut.
As for Ceramic knives holding an edge longer...yes this may be true but I use my "sharpening" steal before every use of any of my chef knives and keep at least two in rotation and i'm lucky if they need to be sent out for sharpening once a year. Yeah you can get a ceramic knife for cheaper which is great..i just think the negatives stand out more then the positives for me.
but as always..knife preference is in the hands of the chef..I only share my outlook on it and my experience..i could never tell someone what knife to go with

...Goodweed of the North was right on regarding her advantages and disadvantages for ceramic knives!... :D

Loved your post and I'm very glad you here with us on DC. But just one thing, Goodweed is a him, not a her. :LOL: That's alright. It's not like I have a picture up for everyone to see. You had a 50-50 chance.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

imo, ceramic knives have their advantages and disadvantage.

The main advantage is that you always have a rather sharp knife to use. There's nothing better than pulling out a knife in the drawer and knowing that it won't have to be sharpened before you use it.

The main disadvantage is that they do have to be cared for a bit more than a steel knife. They won't shatter into pieces but they will chip on the edge if not handled properly.

I do love owning a ceramic knife but I don't think it's a 100% replacement for steel knives.

imo, ceramic knives have their advantages and disadvantage.

The main advantage is that you always have a rather sharp knife to use. There's nothing better than pulling out a knife in the drawer and knowing that it won't have to be sharpened before you use it.

The main disadvantage is that they do have to be cared for a bit more than a steel knife. They won't shatter into pieces but they will chip on the edge if not handled properly.

I do love owning a ceramic knife but I don't think it's a 100% replacement for steel knives.

..My japanese knives seem to be razor sharp every time I pull em out with nothing more then being honed. Year later, still have yet to have to send them out.....

I wonder what ceramic is on the harness scale. I have never used a ceramic knife, but could see them dulling on bone.

I wonder what ceramic is on the harness scale. I have never used a ceramic knife, but could see them dulling on bone.

It's extremely hard and therefore brittle. The manufacturers instruct you specifically not to use it on bone.

Ceramic and steel are measured on different scales. Most articles put a typical kitchen knife, presumably in the Henkel or Wusthoff range, at around 55 Rockwell. Japanese steels (VG 10) check in at slightly over 60 or 61. I would hazard a guess that ceramic equivalent would be at 60 or slightly better. Most VG 10 knives are laminated with softer exteriors, reducing breakage while utilizing the sharpening properties of harder steels.

We have a small, hand-held ceramic mandoline. It's not adjustable and is for very, very thin slicing, we're talking translucent, onion skin paper type thin. We use it all the time to cut onions and pickles, and have used it for yellow and zucchini squash, and have used it to shave truffles on the rare occasion when we've splurged. I can't remember if we've every tried a tomato, probably not since it cuts so very, very thin. We've had it for several years and I haven't noticed any decline in function BUT it doesn't get a tremendous amount of use either. It was kind of pricy for what it is but I also bought it in a shop that's known for being a bit expensive. I bought it because they had just started talking about the ceramic knives at the time and I had never seen one before and thought it might be cool.

Last edited:
I bought my ceramic knife, and I bought my father a ceramic knife, for one reason only. You can cut vegetables with a ceramic knife, including just about any kind of lettuce, without the cut edges turning brown.

My ceramic knife sits in the fabric lined box it came in until I am going to cut vegetables, then out it comes. I use it, wash it, dry it, and put it back in the box until I need to cut vegetables again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom