"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-26-2010, 01:40 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Okay, shoot. I sit here with a Shun Elite in one hand and a Global in the other. ....And a Hattori FH in the mail. 1) I am a financial idiot. :P 2) See number one. If anyone needs a Global or Shun Elite chef's knife, hahha, PM me. :D

Old 08-26-2010, 01:59 AM   #32
Head Chef

Congrats! As they say, nothing exceeds like excess! You really should hang on to all three long enough to give them all a good tryout- take the time to compare them all and see which you prefer. Of those three I'd take the Hattori any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but you may feel differently.

But one thing's for certain- between those three, you'll have one to please just about anyone.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Some people say crack is addictive, but they weren't interested in knives.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

For meat, IMO it's best to get a Chinese cleaver. The weight helps stabilizing and getting all the way through without dragging.

VG10 is easier to sharpen but the amount of wear is noticeable compared to powdered steel. I used to slice beef at a chinese restaurant semi-frozen (we process them when they arrive, it's easier to get consistent thickness and get through them quicker when they're like that), and I had to put the vg10 blades to 300 grits stone every 6 weeks or so, versus powdered steel just 1000 grits once a while to get rid of the out of control burr. Ceramic steel worked better straightening powdered steel blades.

IMHO shun classic and kaji are all overpriced. Any well sharpened vg10 blade will perform the same. The damascus surface is only for look, and certainly not scratch free.

Shun elites are solid, and exactly the way I like my multipurpose knives to be. (brieto/global/tojiro paper thin blades are better for fragile vegetables of course). The stainless shell of the shun elites add some useful weight and stability, and it's easy to keep the stainless surfaces clean.

I like the powdered steel blades for vegetable, the thin profiles help making cuts clean, tomato and bell peppers especially. They're all pretty similar, differences mainly in handle.

Honestly, Tojiro DP are probably equal to shun elite. Quality of tojiro's powdered steel is pretty much the same as brieto and global, cheaper just because it's a smaller/newer brand (and some people dislike western handles). Again, the damascus surface is annoying, IMHO trying to look cute but lacking the class, and bringing down overall value of the knife. Look like a cheap a$$ shun classic while the quality might be much higher.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #35
Head Chef

The Tojiro DP now uses VG-10 for the hagane. At the relative price of the DP and the Shun I do consider the DP to be a better knife.