"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 04-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #11
Executive Chef

we all start somewhere...usually trying to save some cash or avoid some element that's tricky like sharpening. That's ok, we learn. You don't want to know some of the crap I've bought over the years.

however, as you said, you've learned and from your posts, I'd say you're into some serious cooking! enjoy.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
Head Chef

thanks rob!

Old 04-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
Senior Cook

My problem with the Miracle Blades wasn't so much the lack of quality or ability to keep an edge (seriously here, what does one expect? You get 16 knives AND a butcher block AND a juicer for less than half the cost of a "real" knife). It was more to do with the fact that the design of the blades was dumbed down to the point that it taught people bad cutting habits...and if you already had mad chops, made them very hard to use and increased chance of injury. The way you were supposed to use that "rock n chop" blade was as such to where the first time I used one, I walked away with a prescription (so to speak) for a 2 month band aid over a fingernail that had been sliced halfway down from the tip, for example. Same problem with the "chop n scoop"--though admittedly I found that knife to be quite handy if you ignored the instructions to hold it from the ball at the top center.

I also have to admit...the filet knife? Ain't half bad. Every other knife "Chef" Tony sells? Garbage.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
Head Chef

worst knives i've ever used i have one left to open crates and boxes with the rest of them i destroyed with glee

Chef Tony is a fraud and if i see him on the street its lights out
Old 04-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
It's Ron Popiel!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
You can do EVERYTHING in the kitchen with one 8" chef knife. I know, I've done it for years. It would be better, IMO, to buy one good knife than a set. Then you have a quality knife and you can add knives later based on your budget and needs.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Interesting. I have a friend that bought them and is extremely pleased with them. Now, they do not use them for a living, but as general household cooking and steaks. I was rather impressed with the steak knife and how it cut. Actually thinking about getting a set for the house myself. I think it is at least worth checking out for $40 or whatever it is. Seeing these negative reviews is disheartening, but I wonder if the key for these knives is NOT commercial type use, but regular home cooking type?

Me thinks I'll give 'em a go as my friends like 'em.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #18
Head Chef

lol bigdog..the knives are complete pieces of crap...they will be great when you first use them then all go dull and rust in a couple of months..do yourself a favor and get a real knife...those knives are plastic and are made in hong kong
Old 04-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

legs, it is pretty interesting to see our opinions and experience change thru time. i like looking back at times to do the same thing. also, since my short term memory is gone, it helps me remember how i made stuff.

i remember when you first came here, you asked well thought out but relatively neophytic questions, like many of us have. but then i read a post recently of the things you are making these days, and i thought, "wow, he learned pretty fast." most of your recent posts sound really really good, and i've printed out several of your threads.
the student has become the teacher.

hey, didn't you just get a big whoopdy-doo professionel chef's or santoku recently? which one was it, and how'dya like it?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #20
Senior Cook

i bought these knives on a special... by one, get one free for $60 including shipping.

so, one set is in the drawer (hardly ever use them-they're weird), and the other set was sold on eBay for $35.00.