"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
Head Chef

Chef Tony Knives "Rock n Chop, etc Infomercial...

I bought those chef tony infomercial knives "Rock n Chop" "Chop n scoop" etc that comes with the huge serrated knife also and the filet knife, like 5-6 of them for 30 bucks

what do you all think of these knives, on the infomercial with "chef tony" i thought they would be alot better, and considering i had no knives before but some from HEB, they are better than what i had, but how do these compare to some of the real bada*** knives for like 100-200 bucks

Old 05-06-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
Master Chef

I LOVE the infomertial!! My favorite part is where he cuts the pineapple in midair. and where cuts concrete. Like you WANT your knife to do that.

Big, sorry, but IMO those knives are crap. My friend has a house on the Cape and her dad gave her those knives, so that's what she has there. I use the house once in a while, so have used those knives. My first reaction was that it felt like cutting an onion with a pastry scraper! UGGGH. I found them totally impossible to use. Dull. Unbalanced. Weird.

The serrated one was better than the others but still bad.

I bring my own chef's knife now when I use the house.

Suggestion: if you are really serious about cooking, consider buying a good quality 8 inch chef's knife. Never buy a knife without "test driving" it first, but a good knife is a purchase you'll never regret (like a cast iron skillet or LC french oven).

Old 05-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Head Chef

yeah..these knives are pieces of sh*te

how much is that knife that rachel ray uses? Not the one now, the one she used before?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

She used a Wusthof Grand Prix Santuko.

You can get it for about $80 or less. It's always on sale somewhere. Wusthof also makes a cheaper line which is not full tang, called their "Gourmet" series which places (like at FoodTV.com) try to pass off as the more expensive kind.

Always try a knife before you buy it. Hold it in your hand and see what it feels like. They are like shoes -- they need to fit your hand and be easy to use.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

The one she used to use was the Wustoff Santoku. It runs about $75 -$80. Don't shop for knives by price though. There are some great inexpensive knives as well as some bad expensive knives.

I happen to have the Wustoff Santoku and I am very happy with it, but that does not mean that you will like it (doesn't mean you won't either lol). the best analogy I have heard about this is that knives are like shoes. If they do not fit you right then it does not matter how great they are. You will never use them.
Make sure your knives "fit". Hold them in your hand. Test them out. Go through the motions of chopping and slicing to make sure they feel right.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

LOL I just posted and then saw Jenny said the same thing as me (but much clearer and less wordy )
Great minds think alike!
Old 05-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
Head Chef

as always great advice

cheers
Old 07-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
Cook

I just went last week to Khohl's and picked up a Chicago cutlery Santoku and paring knife combo for 24. It has nice balance in my hand and the handle fits my hand well. I see this being a knife that becomes my favorite very quickly.
This is the same set but I have the all metal one piece style. I thought that the handle on the set that I got had better ergonomic design.

http://www.kohls.com/products/produc...=1121288024400
Old 07-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to nytxn Send a message via MSN to nytxn
I have a friend that has the Chef Tony specials and they are blechk...

We were making breakfast tacos over there one morning for a fund raiser, and trying to cut Elgin sausage with one of those knifes was like trying to cut a rock with a piece of paper.

Don't buy 'em....

Ron
aka: nytxn
nytxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
Head Chef

lol @ this thread. I can't believe how far i've come.

looking back i remember these "Chef Tony" knives. What a schiester and a two bit con artist. I wonder how many people bought those knives thinking they were god's gift, only to have them fall apart, rust, and chip and become dull......

oh boy thought i'd TTT this thread for nostalgia