Chef Tony Knives "Rock n Chop, etc Infomercial...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
I bought those chef tony infomercial knives "Rock n Chop" "Chop n scoop" etc that comes with the huge serrated knife also and the filet knife, like 5-6 of them for 30 bucks

what do you all think of these knives, on the infomercial with "chef tony" i thought they would be alot better, and considering i had no knives before but some from HEB, they are better than what i had, but how do these compare to some of the real bada*** knives for like 100-200 bucks

I LOVE the infomertial!! My favorite part is where he cuts the pineapple in midair. and where cuts concrete. Like you WANT your knife to do that.

Big, sorry, but IMO those knives are crap. My friend has a house on the Cape and her dad gave her those knives, so that's what she has there. I use the house once in a while, so have used those knives. My first reaction was that it felt like cutting an onion with a pastry scraper! UGGGH. I found them totally impossible to use. Dull. Unbalanced. Weird.

The serrated one was better than the others but still bad.

I bring my own chef's knife now when I use the house.

Suggestion: if you are really serious about cooking, consider buying a good quality 8 inch chef's knife. Never buy a knife without "test driving" it first, but a good knife is a purchase you'll never regret (like a cast iron skillet or LC french oven).

yeah..these knives are pieces of sh*te

how much is that knife that rachel ray uses? Not the one now, the one she used before?

She used a Wusthof Grand Prix Santuko.

You can get it for about $80 or less. It's always on sale somewhere. Wusthof also makes a cheaper line which is not full tang, called their "Gourmet" series which places (like at FoodTV.com) try to pass off as the more expensive kind.

Always try a knife before you buy it. Hold it in your hand and see what it feels like. They are like shoes -- they need to fit your hand and be easy to use.

The one she used to use was the Wustoff Santoku. It runs about $75 -$80. Don't shop for knives by price though. There are some great inexpensive knives as well as some bad expensive knives.

I happen to have the Wustoff Santoku and I am very happy with it, but that does not mean that you will like it (doesn't mean you won't either lol). the best analogy I have heard about this is that knives are like shoes. If they do not fit you right then it does not matter how great they are. You will never use them.
Make sure your knives "fit". Hold them in your hand. Test them out. Go through the motions of chopping and slicing to make sure they feel right.

LOL I just posted and then saw Jenny said the same thing as me (but much clearer and less wordy :) )
Great minds think alike!

I just went last week to Khohl's and picked up a Chicago cutlery Santoku and paring knife combo for 24. It has nice balance in my hand and the handle fits my hand well. I see this being a knife that becomes my favorite very quickly.
This is the same set but I have the all metal one piece style. I thought that the handle on the set that I got had better ergonomic design.

http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla0.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=158578001&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=145825035&bmUID=1121288024400

Last edited:
I have a friend that has the Chef Tony specials and they are blechk...

We were making breakfast tacos over there one morning for a fund raiser, and trying to cut Elgin sausage with one of those knifes was like trying to cut a rock with a piece of paper.

Don't buy 'em....

lol @ this thread. I can't believe how far i've come.

looking back i remember these "Chef Tony" knives. What a schiester and a two bit con artist. I wonder how many people bought those knives thinking they were god's gift, only to have them fall apart, rust, and chip and become dull......

oh boy thought i'd TTT this thread for nostalgia

we all start somewhere...usually trying to save some cash or avoid some element that's tricky like sharpening. That's ok, we learn. You don't want to know some of the crap I've bought over the years.

however, as you said, you've learned and from your posts, I'd say you're into some serious cooking! enjoy.

My problem with the Miracle Blades wasn't so much the lack of quality or ability to keep an edge (seriously here, what does one expect? You get 16 knives AND a butcher block AND a juicer for less than half the cost of a "real" knife). It was more to do with the fact that the design of the blades was dumbed down to the point that it taught people bad cutting habits...and if you already had mad chops, made them very hard to use and increased chance of injury. The way you were supposed to use that "rock n chop" blade was as such to where the first time I used one, I walked away with a prescription (so to speak) for a 2 month band aid over a fingernail that had been sliced halfway down from the tip, for example. Same problem with the "chop n scoop"--though admittedly I found that knife to be quite handy if you ignored the instructions to hold it from the ball at the top center.

I also have to admit...the filet knife? Ain't half bad. Every other knife "Chef" Tony sells? Garbage.

worst knives i've ever used i have one left to open crates and boxes with the rest of them i destroyed with glee

Chef Tony is a fraud and if i see him on the street its lights out

You can do EVERYTHING in the kitchen with one 8" chef knife. I know, I've done it for years. It would be better, IMO, to buy one good knife than a set. Then you have a quality knife and you can add knives later based on your budget and needs.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have a friend that bought them and is extremely pleased with them. Now, they do not use them for a living, but as general household cooking and steaks. I was rather impressed with the steak knife and how it cut. Actually thinking about getting a set for the house myself. I think it is at least worth checking out for $40 or whatever it is. Seeing these negative reviews is disheartening, but I wonder if the key for these knives is NOT commercial type use, but regular home cooking type?

Me thinks I'll give 'em a go as my friends like 'em.

lol bigdog..the knives are complete pieces of crap...they will be great when you first use them then all go dull and rust in a couple of months..do yourself a favor and get a real knife...those knives are plastic and are made in hong kong

legs, it is pretty interesting to see our opinions and experience change thru time. i like looking back at times to do the same thing. also, since my short term memory is gone, it helps me remember how i made stuff. :cool:

i remember when you first came here, you asked well thought out but relatively neophytic questions, like many of us have. but then i read a post recently of the things you are making these days, and i thought, "wow, he learned pretty fast." most of your recent posts sound really really good, and i've printed out several of your threads.
the student has become the teacher.

hey, didn't you just get a big whoopdy-doo professionel chef's or santoku recently? which one was it, and how'dya like it?

i bought these knives on a special... by one, get one free for $60 including shipping.

so, one set is in the drawer (hardly ever use them-they're weird), and the other set was sold on eBay for $35.00.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom