Cleavers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have couple small cleavers, I picked up in an Asian store fore about $3 bucks each. I had to replace handle on both, because the original was junk, but the blade is very nice. I do keep it very sharp and use it all the time. It is probably my favorite tool in the knife section. I also have big Chineese one, but practicaly never uset it, unless I picked up the whole chicken on a rare ocasion, that needs to be cut.

The Lamson Sharp is lighter than my Chinese cleavers & better balanced. Feels about the same weight as my 8 " chefs knife. Buy you one? :rolleyes: first we need to start the send Cindy to sharpening school scholarship fund.:D

T-roy said:
The Lamson Sharp is lighter than my Chinese cleavers & better balanced. Feels about the same weight as my 8 " chefs knife. Buy you one? :rolleyes: first we need to start the send Cindy to sharpening school scholarship fund.:D

OK!!!!! :chef: I'm ready!!! :)

knowledge never hurt anyone, oh wait .. took knowledge to invent the bomb, I take that remark back.

Andy M. said:
A Chinese or Asian cleaver is, IMHO, a knfe. As such, it is used as you would a chef's knife or santoku. It is light weight and sharp as any knife would be. In the average kitchen, it would get as much use as a chef's or santoku.

A meat cleaver is not a knife but a special use tool for heavy meat and bone work. It's heavy becuse weight aid in its use.

As the OP never made it clear which type of cleaver she was interested in, I guess we should ask.

Cindy:

Which type of cleaver are you asking about?

On point again. I like my Chinese cleaver. I have a real meat cleaver but it's so much more of a toy than a tool.

I have a nice, high-carbon no-stain Chinese cleaver that I bought at a nearby Asian grocery store for under $8US. It's all one piece of steel, even the handle, so I don't have to worry about the handle coming off. It's fairly light, and takes and holds a good edge. It's currently at my job, where it serves as a "backup" knife should my chef's knife become unavailable. I haven't actually had to use it for years. It's a really attractive piece, so I keep it around instead of letting it go.

I have four cleavers 2 Chinese one heavy and one light the light one is used for vegetables the heavy for meat and light bone cutting my other 2 are medium and heavy American cleavers. I use my heavy for splitting lamb racks and my medium just hangs on its hook it was my mothers so I will keep it just for memories

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom