"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-25-2006, 05:42 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Cleavers

Any good advice? Never used one, so of course, never bought one. <grin>

Old 10-25-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

There are many kinds so you need to decide based on what you will use it for. I have an elegant one that is basically for vegetables. And it is the only one I have. I don't "cleave" meat much--or any more than I can do with a good chef's knife. But meat cleavers are heavy dudes.
Someone with far more knowledge of knives will be along, but I find very little use for one--even the one I have.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have a big heavy one. It is the one knife in my collection that I just do not use at all. I have actually been thinking of selling it on eBay recently. I simply have no need for it. My chefs knife does everything that I would use a cleaver for.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I'm not a fan of European-style cleavers. Thick beasts with no real uses.

the Asian-style cleavers I like using. They're thin, take a fine edge and are nice tools.

thymeless
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a Henckels Professional S cleaver. I don't use it often. It's heavy and I use it for heavy duty stuff such as chopping through bones. It works well for its intended uses.

A Light weight Asian style cleaver is designed for different uses and works well on those uses.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Hubby has one and loves it, but he gets these notions. Useful for such things as hacking through whole chickens, I suppose. I want to say I've gotten along fine without, but then again, delicate belle that I be, since I just cannot stomach the sound of cutting bone, DH does all that nasty stuff for me. In short? You can probably live without. Get yourself a good man instead -- they're far more versatile.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
Head Chef

I have a good, not too expensive cleaver used for cutting large chunks of meat and cutting through bone. Because it's too messy to hack away at carcasses (not to mention that I might be off-target), I normally just cut through the meat gently first, then use a mallet to pound the top edge of the cleaver through to the bone. I wouldn't dream of doing this with an expensive cleaver, that's why I don't own an expensive one.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Cook

I love lightweight Asian cleavers; they’re great for chopping & moving large amounts of veggies or meat. The wide blade makes a great scoop. There are a lot of Asian markets around here so they go for around 20 dollars or so, they hold a decent edge. I have a heavy cleaver for bones that doesn't get much use.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Hubby has one and loves it, but he gets these notions. Useful for such things as hacking through whole chickens, I suppose. I want to say I've gotten along fine without, but then again, delicate belle that I be, since I just cannot stomach the sound of cutting bone, DH does all that nasty stuff for me. In short? You can probably live without. Get yourself a good man instead -- they're far more versatile.
I have a good Greek man. :-) BUT I would NOT trust him with any type of knife!!!!! He's more the electrical type, that's his forte! :-)

BTW, what all can you use a man for? How versatile are they?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Head Chef

Cindy - I do not haave a Cleaver but I do have a great chef's knive.

The next time I am at Williams Sonoma I will take a look at their Cleavers.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote