"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cleavers

Waiting delivery on two cleavers. First is the standard heavy-duty bone crunching kind, but the second is the more delicate Chinese style. Thinner blade, 15 degree blade angle, etc.

Anyone have any experience with these? I was inspired by a recent magazine article and the price was right. Also, I saw a Youtube video where a guy expertly butchers a chicken in about 15 seconds. Not that I would ever try that, but the wide blade Chinese cleaver was impressive in his hands.

Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I have the first type but it doesn't get a lot of use. I just use my chef's knife for chicken bones.

I've never used a Chinese cleaver but have watched Martin Yan work magic with his.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Master Chef

I have 4 different cleavers. I get into mood and all of a sudden all I use are clevers. Big small and smaller yet. And then the wave goes away and I do not touch them for a year or so.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Wine Guy

I have a carbon steel cleaver dating to the 1940s that belonged to my dad. I've used it maybe twice in the last 10 years. I spend way more time digging it out of the bottom of the drawer periodically to clean off the rust spots and oil it.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I have had two of them. I gave one to my daughter and kept one for myself. Like Steve, mine sits in the drawer where I keep all the equipment that I very seldom use. On the very, very rare occasion that I have taken it out and tried to use it. I raise it up, slam it down and miss the mark completely. Back in the drawer it went. Next time I take it out, into the trash it goes.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
Master Chef

Well, there is Ward, June, Wally, and of course, the Beaver...

Oh, not what you meant?

I had a gift card from BB&B, and have wanted one for a long time, so I got one back in January. I haven't done much with it, yet. It is pretty hefty, and I look forward to going medieval with it on some chicken.

CD
Old 04-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef

After seeing a Martin Yan cooking demo, I actually bought his brand clever and used it for years, until I used the wrong end (By accident) to crack a coconut open. Couldn't get the edge back after that mishap. But until that point, I loved it .
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
Master Chef

THE CLEAVERS

Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I have a 6" Henckels cleaver. It is the perfect tool for disassembly of a chicken (or turkey?).

HOWEVER: I never use my cleaver in a swinging action. I have a soft mallet I use to strike the cleaver's back edge after I have positioned for the next cut.

A cleaver this size, weight and sharpness is a very dangerous instrument unless you give it the respect it deserves. Simply dropping it (slipped out of your hand?) could end up if the sharp edge hits the middle of your foot it could amputate your toes--or at least mine could.

I once had a can of soup fall off my kitchen counter and strike my big toe nail at just the perfectly wrong angle (can edge struck my big toe nail at a 45 degree angle). It hurt badly for perhaps 6 weeks, I lost the toe nail at 3 months, and it took 6 months for my toe nail to grow back in back to normal.

I shudder to think what a dropped heavy cleaver could do.

BTW I have a full Henckel's butcher block which did not provide for cleaver storage. I made a dedicated 1 cleaver "block" which performs the same function. It's screwed to the wall inside one of my kitchen cabinets where I can access my cleaver if I need it, but where it can't possibly cause any harm without lifting it out of its safe storage.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I have a 6" Henckels cleaver. It is the perfect tool for disassembly of a chicken (or turkey?).
I think it's a guy thing I have no problem disassembling a chicken or a turkey with my chef's knife. As long as you can find the joints, any sharp knife will work.