Custom Handmade Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzard767

Sous Chef
Out of curiosity, I checked the first on your list, Moritaka. That’s more of a “brand name” than a custom knife. It’s obvious that “Moritaka” himself isn’t making each and every knife. Look at how they say “we” do this and that. Sounds like a Wal-Mart sweat shop. At least with Jay Fisher you have one guy sticking to uncompromising standards of quality and not mass production dead lines.

And some of his blades aren’t full tang! But, I’m not saying they aren’t good…..I’m just more impressed with Jay Fisher’s work. Some like Rembrandt others like Rockwell. :rolleyes:

You need to do more exploring. Moritaka is indeed custom - since 1293, 28th generation Moritaka family. As to the handles, the better knives are arc welded stainless steel tangs so they don't contaminate the wood. Just as I didn't see all of the previous site, you need to do more homework as well. There is a lot more to quality knives than either of us will ever know.....

Buzz

WAY COOL. I missed that page. Like I said, the guy is good, but I'll not be backing down on the rest of my statements. I LOVE that block. My wife and I are going to build a new house with a "to die for" kitchen and I might just have to plagiarize a tad. WOW! That would look nice next to a walnut cutting board.

Buzz

His block sets are super nice.....and I don't want to know what they cost!!!

I've decided I'm going to order one chef's knife from him. DW is a bit resistant about it, so I told her I wouldn’t do it till we got the income tax refund next year. The deal is, I use what ever it takes for a custom knife, and she gets the rest. In theory, the blade is only going to be 400 – 500 bucks, so she makes out like a bandit!

So much for my PS3!!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

You need to do more exploring. Moritaka is indeed custom - since 1293, 28th generation Moritaka family. As to the handles, the better knives are arc welded stainless steel tangs so they don't contaminate the wood. Just as I didn't see all of the previous site, you need to do more homework as well. There is a lot more to quality knives than either of us will ever know.....

Buzz

Sounds awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Sounds awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

You would not be wasting your time. The knives they show under "products" is slim picking to say the least. My last order is a 220 by 110mm chukabocho with a Hitachi AS super steel straight edge and damascus cladding. A chukabocho is the thin Japanese version of the classic Chinese cleaver. I can't wait. And, for Mr. Bill, the first thing I'm going to do is give it 10 degrees a side, my vegetable preference. :D

For more information email Akiko at moritaka@bg.wakwak.com. Akiko is the only English speaker there (that I know of). She's about eight months pregnant now but will be at the keyboard until the doctor calls her in. She provides customer service second to none. Although her English is very good, make sure that she knows exactly what you want - pictures help.

Buzz

[Quote: keltin]
Sounds awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip![/quote]

You would not be wasting your time. The knives they show under "products" is slim picking to say the least. My last order is a 220 by 110mm chukabocho with a Hitachi AS super steel straight edge and damascus cladding. A chukabocho is the thin Japanese version of the classic Chinese cleaver. I can't wait. And, for Mr. Bill, the first thing I'm going to do is give it 10 degrees a side, my vegetable preference. :D

For more information email Akiko at moritaka@bg.wakwak.com. Akiko is the only English speaker there (that I know of). She's about eight months pregnant now but will be at the keyboard until the doctor calls her in. She provides customer service second to none. Although her English is very good, make sure that she knows exactly what you want - pictures help.

-----------------------------------------------

Sounds aweome. I'll definitely check that out.

-----------------------------------------------

For reference, from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767
However:

This is a cooking site and I didn't run across any cook's knives.

Oh, he makes kitchen knives all right. Either by pattern or by customer specified drawings and requests. I posted about these before.

Read his take on Chef's Knives here.

Buzz

Sounds good my brother! I LOVE knives! Let's go over here to talk more as this thread is about a sharpener and not the knife.

Hi Keltin. Is that your name? What would you like to know?

Buzz Schranz

Removed e-mail address. If you want to PM keltin feel free to send him a private message but we normally remove all personal e-mail addy's from the open forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Keltin. Is that your name? What would you like to know?

Buzz Schranz

Actually, my name is Chris. I like Jay’s work, but you seem to know more artists in the craft. Who else is worthy of consideration. To be honest, I was unaware that there were still true artisans of the craft in this day and age until I bumped into Jay’s site. Who else is there? We need a definitive list!

Is this supposed to be in THIS thread?

Nope. THIS thread is about the many different knife vendors, not just one, and their techniques. The other was only about Jay Fisher. But this thread will discuss others and what it takes to acutally make a great knife (angles, steel, etc).

Being new to the custom knife world, and very impressed with Jay's work, I'm hoping the enthusiasts will let us all know about OTHER craftsmen like Jay. Heck, I just now found Jay, so I'm sure there are more.....and I'd love to learn about them.

buzzard767 said:
Funny thing Chris, the monitor removed my email addy from my post to you, claiming safety or something. Mmmm. I post what I *want* to be seen. Never could stand Big Brother. ...

No Buzzard - not Big Brother - but Moderators who have had some experience with what happens to users when they post their e-mail addy in a post here, and we're only trying to look out for your best interest - just like we do for everyone else.

Registered DC users can always click on your name and select to send you e-mail or a PM if they wish (you have the same options with them) ... trolls and bots don't have access to that info if you don't post it in the body of a message.

If you really want to post your e-mail addy in a post - just preface it with something like - "Admins/Mods - do not delete this information from this post" and we will not touch it.

Phil Wilson

He does work with S30V
Seamount Knifeworks Gallery

4.5%20inch%20Meadows%20Semi%20Skinner%20with%20Desert%20Ironwood%20full%20tang%20handle.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom