"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

this particular knife was made to specs at the request of a customer. I normally make camping/hunting knives. your feedback truly has been most helpful dillbert and thank you VERY much for that link. see what you mean about the filework shredding a finger now.
also the profile with a gradual taper instead of a belly. gotcha :) beginning understand better whats needed/looked for. once again ty very much your offering the EXACT sort of feedback I was looking for.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
Cook

>>exactly . . .

oh dear. please don't hold me to that [g]

anyway - "bend on" as they say - you'll need to find something that sets your knife apart from "the rest"

the 'geometry' thing we covered a bit - creating a knife that is "more bold" or "more graceful" is a wonderful theory - but physics / geometry is not modified by "artful content" - and if the geometry makes it a PITA to use, not likely to get a lot of Twitter votes.

I'd suggest working on a good grip-able handle and reworking the belly radius.

the spattered flattened texture of the blade surface is not common - that could be your selling point - certainly a challenge to all the "we've got kullens" folk - looks to be as effective, if not more effective, than a boringly static dimple grind.....

Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Master Chef

Metalbender, I have a question completely off topick.

I was thinking about making a hunting knife, more for display rather than actual use,. but when I looked into getting material I was quoted a $200 for just a piece of material enough for only one knife. I cansel my knife making idea right away. For $200 bucks I'd rather buy a knife. So my question is, where do you buy yor material, hom much it is on avarage? Also do you do your own heattreating or not?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

hiya charlie, Im assuming at 200 you were looking at damascus billets, either that or someone with low moral standards was trying to pull a fast one heh
I do indeed do my own heat treatment, Im a bladesmith, ie I work in a coal forge and use hammer anvil files and stones to achieve my profiles.
as far as stock I recommend Jantz supplies, as far as steels, for a hunting knife as a new knife maker you cant go wrong with 01 or 1095.
buy yourself a 18" x 1/4 bar for 15 bucks and have at it hoss ;)
Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thank you for the fast respond. I wasn't looking for anything fancy. Called local metal supplier. I'm they qoted me something simple. As a matter of fact I think I did ask for O1. Let me ask you do you hapen tohave a phone numbr for Jantz, and where are they located?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

google! their huge online
Old 11-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
Master Chef

Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Custom knife tips

Hello everyone, I am new to discuss cooking but am enjoying the posts and the participation. With respect to that specific knife in question. I must agree with Dilbert and Just plain bill here. That knife in particular does not quite meet with your typical requirements. I also make knives as a hobby for myself and friends now n then I am an amateur cook but a professional industrial engineer. I really like the idea that Just plain bill came up with (smart idea) as well, the steel choices I like along with CPM 530V is CPM 154 and of course VG10. You can also go nuts and try to get some Cowry or ZDP 182.. If you want to get some idea of what Inspired me and some of my designs is Haslingers knives.I have uploaded one of his knives using a G10 handle. They are very well designed simple and elegant well priced too! I hope this tid bit helps in some way.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

photo of Haslinger

Hello everyone I tried to upload a jpg. Obviously did not work. I am going to try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-generation-8.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	7788  
Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

I think the ivy pattern should stop at the bolster, not extend into the spine - The design inside the handles is just awesome, however a cook wouldn't be comfortable using it with the ivy pattern where their fingers are resting over the spine. Don't know how the narrow handle at the bolster would feel - I have small hands, so it may even be the next greatest thing in handle geometry, but keep the ivy pattern inside the back-strap (encased within the handles) for sure! Nice work!