"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Custom Kitchen Knife

hi all! new here, was hoping to get some feedback on folks with a passion for cooking.
this is a custom order I recently finished and it got me to thinking about making sets as I enjoyed the divergence from hunters and bowies and camp knives.
the knife is 1095 H.C. steel, differentially heat treated and tempered back to a blue instead of the usual bronze,
over all length is 15 1/2 inches with the blade at 9 inches in length. at its widest part it is 1 3/4 inches wide. it is 3/16s thick at the spine and has a convex edge geometry.
handle material is stabilized Bubinga wood pinned with brass with the bolster being nickel silver also pinned in brass. also some copper spacers betwixt the bolster and scales for that added bling

so what do you all think? Im thinking about doing a full chef's set and bringing it to my local culinary supply store on consignment, the set will likely be in the 1500-2k range. whats everyone's thoughts? there a market for custom made hand forged kitchen sets?
thanks for looking and any feedback!
Shane

Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Cook

That's absolutely gorgeous! Having said that, though, I would have to feel the knife in my hands before I decided whether I liked it -- especially for $2k. I wonder if maybe you can use it more for advertising made-to-order custom work. I could see something being made exactly the way I like it being worth that much, especially with that level of craftsmanship.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

thank you Erik, just so you know though the 2k was for a set likely of 5 or 6 pieces
that particular knife was ordered at 350
I'm just wondering if there's a realistic market for a 2k set of knives being fairly ignorant of that particular niche.
speaking of my ignorance, what would you folks look for in a set of 6 knives, style lengths etc?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Executive Chef

CPM S30V, flat ground, heavy stick tang with interchangeable handle configurations and heavy butt( pommel) & hilt (front bolster) to keep knife tip off counter. Fit and finish (no food collecting gaps) more important than file work. Individual pieces more likely to be more salable than sets until rep is established.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

thanks bill :) hrm take-down handle...I like it!
Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Cook

it does have the advantage for customary pinch grip users - certainly will remove those pesky chef's callous . . .
Old 11-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

dilbert explain please?
Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
dilbert explain please?
the typical pinch grip on a knife involves contact of the interior forefinger on the spine of the knife - leading to what is affectionately called chef's callous.

the design pictured would obviously shred the user's finger.

nice knife, regrets I would never consider it based on the overall geometry - especially the thin handle profile and the distance from the bolster to the cutting edge heel.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

are you referring to the filework ie ivy carving? thanks for that tidbit as it will help me with future designs, as will the bolster comment. although why is the bolster to heel distance an issue?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Cook

[not trying to be a smarta** here, but . . .]

I take it you do not use the knives you make?
especially in the area of "cooking"?

this link shows how a lot of people hold a chef's knife.
How to Use A Chef's Knife - Proper Chef's Knife Technique - Learn Correct Knife Grip

the prongs&dongs on the spine -unique element, masterfully executed - is a polar opposite of "usable" in the real world.

the handle is too thin - examine which fingers are on the handle in the 'grip' photos - difficult to steer a knife with half a little pinky finger trying to get a grip.

>>although why is the bolster to heel distance an issue?
I don't know Point A to Point B as you are measuring for 9 inches - however
about half the knife is flat, the forward half goes into that big fat belly.
there is a knifing technique called "rock & chop" - you should google that one.

check the geometry of the knife - especially how high you need to raise the back of the handle - to rock & chop a 4 inch diameter onion - combine that with the rather limited useful length of the blade flat.

it's a very nice looking knife - but the basic design parameters / geometry are not well suited to kitchen tasks.