Cut-resistant gloves for my clumsy arthritic mother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
My mother is arthritic and not very good using a knife such that she is more likely than ordinary to cut herself. She currently avoids using a knife but thinks a cut-resistant glove would change that. I was wondering what kind of cut-resistant glove might be the least hassle to use and maintain. As well as chainmail, I see that there are also ones made of wire ("microplane"?) which seem be more form-fitting than chainmail.

Can they be put into a washing machine or maybe they should just be worn and brushed with a washing up brush?

Getting the glove on and off might also be a consideration (chainmail looks like it might be a little easier simply because they're a looser fit).

I'm guessing that the chainmail resist a cut better than the wire gloves but I'm not sure that matters unless you're swinging a meat cleaver?

I have THESE from Amazon. Pick the size you need. I bought them mostly to use with my mandoline, but they are good when grating with my Microplane too. They should do the trick quite well for your mother. And yes, they can be just tossed in the washing machine.

A1TFswGQ9VL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I have the NoCry gloves as well. They are a lot more flexible than you would think. By the way, don't test them while wearing them like the picture shows. Stick a carrot or something inside to simulate a finger.

I like the ones pictured too. I'd think she will be using them daily. They can be washed with soap while wearing them, then rinsed and hung to dry, rather than waiting for a load of laundry.

I like the ones pictured too. I'd think she will be using them daily. They can be washed with soap while wearing them, then rinsed and hung to dry, rather than waiting for a load of laundry.

I usually wash them after using them in clean dishwater, then rinse and put on the dish rack to dry.

Geez louise!
Clumsy and arthritic?
Does she call you her son who can barely manage a spud here and there? :ermm:

Umm, go with the kevlar. :cool:

I usually wash them after using them in clean dishwater, then rinse and put on the dish rack to dry.

Good idea also Rick, and for those who use their dishwasher daily, there's that option too. At any rate, meat contamination needs to be dealt with carefully. Hand washing the gloves and then microwaving them will work.

Last edited:
Geez louise!
Clumsy and arthritic?

Thank you. As someone who is having a long flare of arthritis in her hands, which includes dropping things, not being able to hold things correctly, etc., I certainly wouldn't appreciate being called clumsy.

Geez louise!
Clumsy and arthritic?

Well, statistically, 6-9% of the population in any one generation, is covertly critical or overtly critical. The following generation picks this up as the example of 'normal'. Then that generation becomes as overtly or covertly critical towards their children and back at their parents. So parents teach this new 'normal' to their children, even if it is abuse, emotional abuse. At some point the parental generation or the the child-adult generation tosses those relationships off and they become estranged. Statistically 19% of children-adults and parents become estranged.

If, IF, those original parents TAUGHT (because they could and they understood their pain) their children, through EXAMPLE, that when you are in pain, you own your pain, and you shouldn't inflict it on someone else, THEN the next generation would learn a better way to handle their feelings. The problem is the original parents never learned to handle pain appropriately because their parents a generation above them, as well, didn't learn or teach it either.

If you are in the 94% to 91% of average families, that's great, but there are still people that weren't treated kindly. Help them find their way into the mainstream without the emotional abuse. It's not your job to do this, it is just human kindness.

Yes, I might be wrong.

She might actually be both clumsy and simultaneously arthritic, which the latter would simply exacerbate the former.

I apologize.

You still should never call your mother clumsy, no matter what. You're here because she managed it somehow.

Well, statistically, 6-9% of the population in any one generation, is covertly critical or overtly critical. The following generation picks this up as the example of 'normal'. Then that generation becomes as overtly or covertly critical towards their children and back at their parents. So parents teach this new 'normal' to their children, even if it is abuse, emotional abuse. At some point the parental generation or the the child-adult generation tosses those relationships off and they become estranged. Statistically 19% of children-adults and parents become estranged.

If, IF, those original parents TAUGHT (because they could and they understood their pain) their children, through EXAMPLE, that when you are in pain, you own your pain, and you shouldn't inflict it on someone else, THEN the next generation would learn a better way to handle their feelings. The problem is the original parents never learned to handle pain appropriately because their parents a generation above them, as well, didn't learn or teach it either.

If you are in the 94% to 91% of average families, that's great, but there are still people that weren't treated kindly. Help them find their way into the mainstream without the emotional abuse. It's not your job to do this, it is just human kindness.

Huh? Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand just what all that means, or what's the point.
On the other hand, I sure understand Bucky's defense of SPB's mother and there's no call for an apology from him.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
It's no big deal. I wasn't really scolding Sean of the spuds. I may have come across too harsh.

Funny it is, though, about telling people how they are or not allowed to express themselves by telling them how it's ok or not to express themselves.

Nonetheless, go with the kevlar. Both proverbial and literal.

Last edited:
BuckyTom I agree with Kayelle, don't apologise.
I agree never call you mother clumsy.

Josie

It's no big deal. I wasn't really scolding Sean of the spuds. I may have come across too harsh.

Funny it is, though, about telling people how they are or not allowed to express themselves by telling them how it's ok or not to express themselves.

Nonetheless, go with the kevlar. Both proverbial and literal.

I wasn't scolding Tom. I was asking everyone that was taken back by the word clumsy to understand where this kind of insult comes from, as Buckytom asked: "Does she call you her son who can barely manage a spud here and there? :ermm:", yes, she probably does--that was the point--this insult probably came down from mother to son.

There are other words to use to say someone is clumsy without the negative connotation. "mom who drops onions sometimes", or "uncoordinated", there are words that mean the same things without it being an insult. We could all try to be a little more diplomatic.

Ok, now you lost me, bliss. Clumsy ain't nothing but an insult, no matter how you look at it.

But yes, as you noticed, maybe Sean of the spuds mom was in turn insulting, hence his rough edged comment about the woman in his life with a brow that is furrowed and wrinkled with care.

And Sean's not a bad guy, to care enough to protect her fingers, so toil worn for he...

Yes, maybe, or no, maybe.

We're waiting on that kid she raised who cares more for tubers than his poor mother.

He's probably out chasing lassies with a pint in one hand, and a smoke in the other...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom