"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Garlic, does the butcher charge you a per knife fee to sharpen them? Assuming you cook daily, how often do you get them sharpened? I've never heard of a grocery store butcher sharpening knives as a service for customers. I wonder if they provide that service at the stores where i shop.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I've had my Cutco for 16 yrs. and am still happy with them. You don't have to get them sharpened by a rep. I prefer to send them back to Cutco for sharpening. It only costs for s/h. They replaced a steak knife for free that my daughter mangled by sticking it in the feeder tube of my Champion juicer, instead of using the plunger.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oct View Post
Garlic, does the butcher charge you a per knife fee to sharpen them? Assuming you cook daily, how often do you get them sharpened? I've never heard of a grocery store butcher sharpening knives as a service for customers. I wonder if they provide that service at the stores where i shop.
No, they've never charged me. I used to take them to a local hardware store that sent them out to someone who sharpened them for $5 each; I hated being without them for a week. When they closed, I asked around and someone suggested the grocery store butcher. I take them in during lunch from work and usually get them back within 15-20 minutes, while I put together my lunch from the salad bar I try to do it every few months.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Head Chef

I bought them from my daughter's friend who was selling them to help pay for college. The knives are okay but I guess they wouldn't have been my first choice.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Falkon
My brother sold Cutco knives at one time. They're great knives. They have a great finish, full tang, forged. I would go with them if they weren't so expensive. For the same price, you can get more Wusthoff knives, and I would consider them just as good.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I own a set of them and they are just fine, resharpening costs $5 for shipping/handling of 3 knives and they do a nice job. Similar to Green Lady, CUTCO replaced a paring knife that had a broken blade (tip) without questions.
I use them often, but for cutting veggies I prefer to use the mandoline. That's why I guess they remain sharp for quite a while.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:01 AM   #17
Head Chef

I don't think Cutco's are bad knives, but I think they're very overpriced. They stay subjectively sharp for a long time, mostly because they cut pretty well even when they get dull. This is because of the convex-type grind. The downside is it's difficult to resharpen them. If a butcher is sharpening them for you, I'm curious how he's doing it- did he regrind a new bevel on a wheel or stone, or strop it out on a leather belt? If you're regrinding a new bevel then the old shape is gone. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a comment.

When I was Sous Chef at a previous job the Exec bought a couple Cutco's. One day he & I compared his 9.25" Cutco Chef's knive with my 10" Shun Classic. The Cutco was much, much heavier than the Shun. But it felt good in the hand. We did various items of prep, from veggies to meat cutting, trading knives periodically. Our unanimous concencus was that my Shun was sharper and cut better, althought the thinness of the Shun blade may have accounted for part of the difference. This was only about six months ago, so I don't know how his edge will hold up long term, but my Shun is still extremely sharp.

Bottom line: as a chef I've spent a lot of time with a knife in my hand. The Cutco knives are okay, but I'd prefer a Messermeister, Wustof or Henckels for my money. The Cutco's cost just as much, and while the warranty is good, if you're careful with them it's not a big factor. I'd hate having a knife I had to send in to have resharpened.

IMO Cutco is the cutlery equivalent of Bose speakers- an average product with incredible marketing. Both companies make fair to mediocre goods yet have managed to build up an near-mythological following. And both count on the fact that the average consumer isn't expert enough to sort out the marketing hype from fact. Cutco isn't a ripoff, exactly, but neither is it "the world's finest cutler." They're basically Chicago Cutlerly with a better agent.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Yes I love my Cutco. I especially love the white handles, they suit my kitchen well and my hands feel great using them. I have had them for about 9 years and still haven't sent them in for sharpening. SO honeybee i deff recomend these knives they may be expensive but they will be the last ones you buy :)
Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #19
Head Chef

You haven't needed to sharpen your knives in NINE YEARS, Abby?????

Holey moley, let me at these knives!!!!

Lee
Old 02-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

If they haven't needed to be sharpened in 9 years then all that means to me is that they have not been used in 9 years. Knives need to be sharpened. Every single knife on the market needs to be sharpened. There is no way around that unless you do not use the knife.