"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2004, 12:00 AM   #31
Head Chef
I have a cutco set and love it! I'll admit it cost me a pretty penny, but I love to cook, so my rationale is that a good knife set should last me a life time. And my cutco rep said that he could come out to my house and sharpen my knife if I ever need sharpening. I think I've had the set for 3 years now and still don't need to have my knives sharpened.

Prior to my purchase, I didn't do much knife research. I had used cutco before and liked them so went ahead and went online to find a rep.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #32
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
Cutco Knives

I also do not like Cutco knives...I own Wustoff trident knives and love them. My only comment is if you are posting on so many sites the same reveiw...Do you not think others would respect you reveiw more if you told us why you were posting so many sites...or what your occupation was...or why you have such a hate on for one particular brand? I don't know....just wondering :D

Old 09-29-2004, 11:38 PM   #33
Head Chef
Love the husband. Have Wusthof Culinars....
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:04 AM   #34
Assistant Cook
To bring up an old topic:

13 years ago I got a "job" as an independent contractor for Vector. The first thing I had to do was buy a $300 sample kit. Then, they wanted me to pay for training seminars all over the place. I would not attend the seminars, and really wasn't successful selling the knives. I was under the impression that they made most of their money selling sample kits and seminars. (I quit very shortly thereafter.)

13 years later, my Double D edge knives still cut (not rip or tear) very well. You see, the points of the knife protect the cutting surfaces which the knife_reviewer called "crevices". My Cutco straigt edge knives are "okay", but need sharpening. I love the handles, and the balance is great.

As for the steel quality, my entire education on the topic came from Vector, So I would be biased if I attempted to discuss it.

One of my handes got burnt by an electric stove unit, and one of my table knives got in contact with chlorine bleach and pitted real bad.

This is my experience with Cutco/Vector.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

well since i am a cutco owner and have never had any probles with my knives being sharp or falling apart i took your challenge and went into your posting to see what i could find.this is a quote from:http://www.sff.net/people/pff/steel.txt

and it says:

"The carbon content (and hardenability) of this stainless steel goes up
in order from A (.75%) to B (.9%) to C (1.2%). 440C is an excellent,
high-end stainless steel, usually hardened to around 56-58 Rc. All
three resist rust well, with 440A being the most rust resistant, and
440C the least."

This is contradictory to what you said in your first paragraph and im sure with some more research the rest of your posting will turn out to be garbage because your parents or grandparents didnt want to buy any from you.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #36
iceman, who are you talking to? The original poster is LONG gone from the site. Are you talking to the last poster here?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Old 10-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #37
Senior Cook
Ummm.... I have a very motley mix of knives: Wusthof, Henckels, Deglon, 20 year old Hoffritz, and Cutco. Most of these knives were purchased because I wanted/needed a particular knife, and/or I found a good buy.

However, the Cutco knives were bought for friendship's sake, one at a time. Sometimes a serrated knife comes in handy. These do work. That said, they do cost a lot for stamped, serrated knives, and they aren't the first I reach for. And I do find the handles less comfortable than most.

If you want to buy them to support your friends, go ahead. But you'll probably want other knives, too. And if you are on a budget, these are not your best choice.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #38
Assistant Cook
Send a message via MSN to C-Mart
My girlfriend and her parents have Cutco knives, and she absolutely hates them. I have never had any, but have had the opportunity to use them on occaision when cooking at her place. I have not been impressed. I tried to slice a tomato, and I had to "pierce" the skin with the tip of the knife before I could do any slicing. I hate dull knives and notice them every time, and I have never picked up a sharp Cutco.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever purchase any myself. My favorite knives include a Calphalon Santoku, a 9" Michael Graves Chef Knife from Target, and a 4" Michael Graves Parer also from Target. The 2 Target knives were under $20 total. They are stamped I think, but the handles feel great in my hand and they are pretty heavy, which I like. The Santoku was $40 and though it is light, it is definately forged and has the bolster. They all stay pretty sharp, though I think I may need to take the lot to a professional knife sharpener soon.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:20 AM   #39
Assistant Cook
Cutco Sux

Here's a long review of how these knives are basically crap: http://www.vegsource.com/talk/pressu...ges/58097.html.

Cutco knives are the first "easy" job a college kid could do or suckered into doing: Here's what those kids have to say: http://www.screwedcentral.com/ubb/Fo...ML/000027.html.

Get them out of your kitchen and donate them to the local tree pruner or the circus knife thrower!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:27 AM   #40
Assistant Cook
Yea, I have the Ronco knives. They do the job, but they are no miracle like Ronny boy says. But hey whatever works.

free cook books for everything !
Closed Thread