"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #51
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStewart View Post

I would not be Caught Dead with one but there is no reason to bash them.
Hi Mike. So who dragged you in here? The Tourist?

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #52
Assistant Cook

Yep.

It was Chico.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Mr. Stewart might be too modest to provide background, but he is one of the most noted and sought after cutlers I know--and I am proud to know him personally.

If you are lucky enough to own a Bark River Knife, you know Mike's "hand." The main reason that wilderness folks love the convex edge it's because Mike does it so well.

When I have trouble with a knife, I call Mike. When a new knife was invented a few months ago, I sharpened one and sent it to Mike. I wanted his thoughts.

As you get to know him, I hope you do the same. You'll be very glad you did.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #54
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Quote:
Knives--like Cut-Co are great for the average home cook.

Alcas-the Actual Company--Designed them for the Home Cook.

They were never meant to be used by Professionals or Even Enthusiasts.

The Average Home Cook has actually never had a sharp knife in their hand and most likely never will.
Quote:
Most of the Brand names mentioned here are what most of us consider--Soft.

If You are a Knife Enthusiast--Cut-Co is not for You.

It is for folks that are just reaching into a Drawer and want to cut something and really don't know what a High Quality knife feels or cuts like and--really does not care.
Hi mike - Welcome to DC. Don't you think that you might be coming on a bit strong for a cooking forum?

AC
Old 09-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #55
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Hi mike - Welcome to DC. Don't you think that you might be coming on a bit strong for a cooking forum?

AC
This is the knives section. Too strong? Nope.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 09-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #56
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
This is the knives section. Too strong? Nope.

It's the knife section of a cooking forum, not a knife afficionado's forum. There is a difference. I took some of Mike's comments as talking down to the average person who frequents this forum. Just my opinion.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #57
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's the knife section of a cooking forum, not a knife afficionado's forum. There is a difference. I took some of Mike's comments as talking down to the average person who frequents this forum. Just my opinion.
Andy, I just reread Mike's post and don't see it the way you do. In any case, I hope Mike sticks around. He knows more about knives than the entire DiscussCooking.com forum membership combined. What's wrong with having a knife aficionado in a knife section?

Buzz
Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #58
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
...What's wrong with having a knife aficionado in a knife section?

Buzz

Nothing. Being a knife aficionado is not at issue.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #59
Assistant Cook

Andy,

I just went back and re-read my post too and I'm a bit baffled.

I took a very factual and neutral position on the Cut-Co Knives.

I said that they were designed for Home Cooks--That is 100% True.

I said they were Designed for Folks who lack sharpening Skills--Again Totally True.

I said that From What I read here--Most people seem to prefer Softer Knives--Again totally true.

Sorry if you took offense but stating Facts did not seem to me to be out of line.

I actually thought that I was making it crystal clear that products aimed at average users should not be judged like products made for Professionals.

I have found that there are a number of different Kitchen knife users.

1. Mom or Dad just making a dinner and never even thinking about the knife they use.

2. Folks that have a bit more interest in Cooking and do want a sharper knife but have no idea about Kitchen knives and what they are supposed to do.

3.Folks that have a very Strong interest in Home Cooking and want to be Creative and also want the same equipment that they see on the Food channels--But Still have no Clue beyond--I saw Rachel Ray using it so it must be Good.

4.Folks that have all the interest of the folks I mention in Number 3 but have done a bit of research and want better knives for the kitchen and are keenly interested in learning how to use them.

5.Folks that like Sporting knives and want to use knives of the same Quality in their Home kitchen.

6.Real Knife Enthusiasts that HAVE taken the Time to learn about Kitchen Knives and have learned or are learning How to sharpen them

7.Professional that use knives for a living.

8. Professionals that have a keen interest in Kitchen knives and have moved on from the French and German Style knives.

Cut-Co's market are loosely defined in numbers 1 thru 4.

I don't think I am taking Sides in any of this and passing on facts are usually welcome.

In my entire post the only opinion I gave was that I would not be Caught Dead with one.

The Rest is Factual.

Again--If I came on too Strong--I apologize but I really can't see where I did.

I actually thought I was doing the opposite.

Mike...................
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #60
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I didn't. He mentioned "the average home cook", but in my opinion the average person who would join a community like DC is someone who makes enough effort to gather knowledge of cooking that they are bound to rise above that average. Many may start at or below that average, but with the help of more knowledgeable cooks/chefs/knife enthusiasts/etc. their knowledge grows and so do their skills.