Cutco knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TATTRAT said:
Well, that in it's self is funny ha ha, but I lol cause all the people that are crushing the OP dreams of being a Cutco for life person. That is all...

In short, 440A steel is at the very low end of SS steels suitable for kitchen cutlery. I find no humor here, merely corporate bottom end "cheap". You sound like either a dealer or a customer who has spent too much money and will never know a steel which will hold an edge, or even having one to begin with. The very notion of having to send a blade back to the manufacturer for resharpening is appalling. There are many reasonably priced blades available that are better. 440A edges are initially only okay, beyond that, fogetaboutit.

I've had my set of Cutco for nearly 16 yrs. I have been happy with them. I have sent them back for servicing (sharpening) and all I pay is $8.00 postage and handling. I can't complain.

Green Lady said:
I've had my set of Cutco for nearly 16 yrs. I have been happy with them. I have sent them back for servicing (sharpening) and all I pay is $8.00 postage and handling. I can't complain.

No problem, Green Lady. If all you want your knives to do is crunch through veggies, you're fine with your choice. However, if you want your knives to slice vegitables so thin you can see through them, Cutco won't "cut". Some of us are beyond that because we have observed in restaurants where you see something unusual and say "how did they do that?" Personally, I strive to duplicate those slices at home.

And I do.

I guess I'm just picky. :)

A dear friend of ours started selling Cutco and we bought a set from her. I have my Henkels and my beloved Calphalon santoku on my main workstation in the kitchen - but I use the Cutco bread knife daily, we love the steak knives and some of the slicers get frequent use. The "chef's" knife is way to big for my hands - but my husband loves it.

I'll agree that in a professional kitchen they would not be the ideal - but come on - not everyone wants or needs absolute perfection. Different strokes for different folks -

If I want slices so thin I can see through them I'll get out the truffle slicer or the mandoline. If I want strands of a veggie for a special salad I'll get out the turning slicer. If I want gaufrette I'll grab the mandoline (again) - but if I want perfect slices of bread it's the Cutco bread knife. I can slice and dice with any of my knives - perhaps because I learned to do it with really awful knives?

Harborwitch said:
A dear friend of ours started selling Cutco and we bought a set from her. I have my Henkels and my beloved Calphalon santoku on my main workstation in the kitchen - but I use the Cutco bread knife daily, we love the steak knives and some of the slicers get frequent use. The "chef's" knife is way to big for my hands - but my husband loves it.

I'll agree that in a professional kitchen they would not be the ideal - but come on - not everyone wants or needs absolute perfection. Different strokes for different folks -

If I want slices so thin I can see through them I'll get out the truffle slicer or the mandoline. If I want strands of a veggie for a special salad I'll get out the turning slicer. If I want gaufrette I'll grab the mandoline (again) - but if I want perfect slices of bread it's the Cutco bread knife. I can slice and dice with any of my knives - perhaps because I learned to do it with really awful knives?

You are right on. I don't need to know what kind of steel is in my knife. I need to know it is a quality product that does what I need. I would rather base that on the performance evaluations of others.

If a person is happy with Cutco, that's great. I'm happy with my Henckels and I don't care if others don't like Henckels.

Knives are tools that make work in the kitchen easier. You should have tools that work for you.

informed choices are better choices

Andy M. said:
I don't need to know what kind of steel is in my knife. I need to know it is a quality product that does what I need.

Of course you don't, but if you currently have a blade with the combination of steel charactaristics you enjoy such as edge retention, corosion resistance, toughness, ease of resharpening, even edge geometry is determined to a major extent by the steel.

Knowing of what alloy the blade is made will allow you to more easily find another knife with the same desirable qualities.

Yes, but manner and quality of construction along with balance are also key. Good steel in a poorly made or badly balanced knife is not a selling point that will cause me to buy it. Rather, it is one of several important components. How the finished product performs as a whole and how long it continues to do so is what I care about.

I think it's just safe to say that some people are happy with a mediocre product and some people are a lot more discerning. Mediocre is fine for some people as long as the price is right, period. That's how it is, that's how it has been, and that's how it will be.

I would love nothing more than to go out and buy top of the line knives! When I was working and our housing was supplied we had some disposable income that went for toys for the kitchen - but not enough to spend the money required for the top of the line. I wish I did, some of us have to make do with what works for us.

Andy you're right about the balance. I have small hands, my husband has big hands - my smaller chef's knife and the santoku fit my hand and the balance is great. Surprisingly the Cutco chef's is perfect for my husband - well balanced. (We've had our Cutco for 4+ years and have never had to have any of the sharpened - a run over the steel once in a while, of course they don't get the use the Henkels and the santoku get!

Harborwitch said:
I would love nothing more than to go out and buy top of the line knives! When I was working and our housing was supplied we had some disposable income that went for toys for the kitchen - but not enough to spend the money required for the top of the line. I wish I did, some of us have to make do with what works for us.

You don't need a block full of expensive knives. Besides a bread knife and a 5" utility knife which can be used for boning, paring, small job slicing, and a multitude of miscellaneous work, what every kitchen needs is a really good Chef's knife. An 8" blade will do just about anything you could ask for - IF - the steel is suitable for sharpness AND edge retention, and the chef knows how to use it.

Click on the following youtube video of Chef Curtis Chung and see how it's done. His knives are carbon steel, not a huge dollar Japanese powder super steel. He sharpens them himself. Notice the very high degree of polishing on and near the edge.

YouTube - Akitada Hontanren

Buzz

babyzfaboo,
I own a set of Cutco knives and need assistance.
The smalller knife got the tip broken after being dropped on the floor.
I know Cutco will sharp knives for life... will they take care of this ?
Let me know please, I can also contact Cutco directly but since I saw your posting....
Thanks !

wysiwyg said:
babyzfaboo,
I own a set of Cutco knives and need assistance.
The smalller knife got the tip broken after being dropped on the floor.
I know Cutco will sharp knives for life... will they take care of this ?
Let me know please, I can also contact Cutco directly but since I saw your posting....
Thanks !
My daughter poked one of the Cutco steak knives into the feeder of my Champion juicer once, using it as a plunger to push fruit through. The blade came out mangled. I figured I would have to live with 7 steak knives until my DH reminded me that those knives are guaranteed for life. I called the company and told them my plight. They replaced the knife for me when I sent the damaged one back, w/o charge. I don't recall, but maybe I had to pay the s/h, can't remember, it's been a few years now. That was generous on their part because their policy is that if the damage is the customer's fault, they will replace at 50% cost. If the damage is their fault, they replace at no cost to the customer.

I suggest you give them a call and then follow their directions about sending in.

My sister was also a sales rep for a short period so we had a bunch of Cutco products. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. They're terrible.

Green Lady,
Thank you for the tip, I sent my knife to Cutco and they mailed me a new one. No questions asked.

I am with Andy M. and Harborwitch on this one... different strokes for different folks.
If I want razor thin slices of kiwi, I pull my Bron mandoline. It is more accurate and consistent that any knife you can find. Although I have a Victorinox that I use daily (IMO, the best value in knives), the Cutco bread knife is more than adequate.

And relative to ironchef comment about mediocrity, I think is arrogant. It is not about being mediocre or discerning, is about VALUE... which is different for all of us.
I'd like to know what kind of car you drive. Using your criteria, any vehicle other than a hand built Aston Martin DBS is mediocre.

And relative to ironchef comment about mediocrity, I think is arrogant. It is not about being mediocre or discerning, is about VALUE... which is different for all of us.
I'd like to know what kind of car you drive. Using your criteria, any vehicle other than a hand built Aston Martin DBS is mediocre.

I don't know what ironchef drives, but here's my ride.... stock = 96 HP at the rear wheel, my FM II turbo = 262.2.

And one of my knives (now with my daughter) = Tojiro 240mm Gyuto with custom 60's hippy acid mycarta handle.

Ford Focus's are "value". Screw it. Live life.

Different strokes for different folks. :alien:

Attachments

• BuzzMiata.jpg
    BuzzMiata.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 210
  • WoodysKnife.jpg
    WoodysKnife.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 231
Cutco is definitely not a good value for money spent.

Better value can be had for a lot less money.

buzzard767,

The Miata is a nice toy, but as far as I know is just that: A toy. The car design (Chassis and suspension) is just too old. The original idea was nice: A nimble sports car, but it is just too dated and really screams for a redesign. It is good value though.

Look into a Subaru Impreza WXR STi. For less than 35K's, you get 300-plus HP and 290 Lb-ft torque, all wheel drive, with manual 6-speed and Brembos all standard. To me, those numbers are more impressive on a production vehicle.

Relative to the comment about the Ford Focus. The last time I checked the World Rally Championship standings, Ford Focus were first and second, I didn't see any Miatas.
A good used Focus SVT ZX3 with tuned suspension, Brembo brakes and supercharged engine should handle the Miata without problems (note: the SVT comes with a 170 HP standard engine)

BTW, I happen to work for Ford and know both vehicles quite well, Ford owns 33% of Mazda. I will not comment anymore on cars since this is a cooking forum.

That's all true for stock Miatas but there's hardly anything stock left on my car including the suspension.

This is what can be done.

I'm with you. Enough about cars. Back to knives, sharpening, and cooking - the things that brought me here in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom