"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Well, that in it's self is funny ha ha, but I lol cause all the people that are crushing the OP dreams of being a Cutco for life person. That is all...
In short, 440A steel is at the very low end of SS steels suitable for kitchen cutlery. I find no humor here, merely corporate bottom end "cheap". You sound like either a dealer or a customer who has spent too much money and will never know a steel which will hold an edge, or even having one to begin with. The very notion of having to send a blade back to the manufacturer for resharpening is appalling. There are many reasonably priced blades available that are better. 440A edges are initially only okay, beyond that, fogetaboutit.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:41 AM   #22
Senior Cook

I've had my set of Cutco for nearly 16 yrs. I have been happy with them. I have sent them back for servicing (sharpening) and all I pay is $8.00 postage and handling. I can't complain.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lady
I've had my set of Cutco for nearly 16 yrs. I have been happy with them. I have sent them back for servicing (sharpening) and all I pay is $8.00 postage and handling. I can't complain.
No problem, Green Lady. If all you want your knives to do is crunch through veggies, you're fine with your choice. However, if you want your knives to slice vegitables so thin you can see through them, Cutco won't "cut". Some of us are beyond that because we have observed in restaurants where you see something unusual and say "how did they do that?" Personally, I strive to duplicate those slices at home.

And I do.

I guess I'm just picky.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #24
Sous Chef

A dear friend of ours started selling Cutco and we bought a set from her. I have my Henkels and my beloved Calphalon santoku on my main workstation in the kitchen - but I use the Cutco bread knife daily, we love the steak knives and some of the slicers get frequent use. The "chef's" knife is way to big for my hands - but my husband loves it.

I'll agree that in a professional kitchen they would not be the ideal - but come on - not everyone wants or needs absolute perfection. Different strokes for different folks -

If I want slices so thin I can see through them I'll get out the truffle slicer or the mandoline. If I want strands of a veggie for a special salad I'll get out the turning slicer. If I want gaufrette I'll grab the mandoline (again) - but if I want perfect slices of bread it's the Cutco bread knife. I can slice and dice with any of my knives - perhaps because I learned to do it with really awful knives?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
A dear friend of ours started selling Cutco and we bought a set from her. I have my Henkels and my beloved Calphalon santoku on my main workstation in the kitchen - but I use the Cutco bread knife daily, we love the steak knives and some of the slicers get frequent use. The "chef's" knife is way to big for my hands - but my husband loves it.

I'll agree that in a professional kitchen they would not be the ideal - but come on - not everyone wants or needs absolute perfection. Different strokes for different folks -

If I want slices so thin I can see through them I'll get out the truffle slicer or the mandoline. If I want strands of a veggie for a special salad I'll get out the turning slicer. If I want gaufrette I'll grab the mandoline (again) - but if I want perfect slices of bread it's the Cutco bread knife. I can slice and dice with any of my knives - perhaps because I learned to do it with really awful knives?

You are right on. I don't need to know what kind of steel is in my knife. I need to know it is a quality product that does what I need. I would rather base that on the performance evaluations of others.

If a person is happy with Cutco, that's great. I'm happy with my Henckels and I don't care if others don't like Henckels.

Knives are tools that make work in the kitchen easier. You should have tools that work for you.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #26
Cook

informed choices are better choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I don't need to know what kind of steel is in my knife. I need to know it is a quality product that does what I need.
Of course you don't, but if you currently have a blade with the combination of steel charactaristics you enjoy such as edge retention, corosion resistance, toughness, ease of resharpening, even edge geometry is determined to a major extent by the steel.

Knowing of what alloy the blade is made will allow you to more easily find another knife with the same desirable qualities.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Yes, but manner and quality of construction along with balance are also key. Good steel in a poorly made or badly balanced knife is not a selling point that will cause me to buy it. Rather, it is one of several important components. How the finished product performs as a whole and how long it continues to do so is what I care about.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:52 AM   #28
Executive Chef

I think it's just safe to say that some people are happy with a mediocre product and some people are a lot more discerning. Mediocre is fine for some people as long as the price is right, period. That's how it is, that's how it has been, and that's how it will be.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I would love nothing more than to go out and buy top of the line knives! When I was working and our housing was supplied we had some disposable income that went for toys for the kitchen - but not enough to spend the money required for the top of the line. I wish I did, some of us have to make do with what works for us.

Andy you're right about the balance. I have small hands, my husband has big hands - my smaller chef's knife and the santoku fit my hand and the balance is great. Surprisingly the Cutco chef's is perfect for my husband - well balanced. (We've had our Cutco for 4+ years and have never had to have any of the sharpened - a run over the steel once in a while, of course they don't get the use the Henkels and the santoku get!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
I would love nothing more than to go out and buy top of the line knives! When I was working and our housing was supplied we had some disposable income that went for toys for the kitchen - but not enough to spend the money required for the top of the line. I wish I did, some of us have to make do with what works for us.
You don't need a block full of expensive knives. Besides a bread knife and a 5" utility knife which can be used for boning, paring, small job slicing, and a multitude of miscellaneous work, what every kitchen needs is a really good Chef's knife. An 8" blade will do just about anything you could ask for - IF - the steel is suitable for sharpness AND edge retention, and the chef knows how to use it.

Click on the following youtube video of Chef Curtis Chung and see how it's done. His knives are carbon steel, not a huge dollar Japanese powder super steel. He sharpens them himself. Notice the very high degree of polishing on and near the edge.

Buzz