Cutco knives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The next knife I buy will probably be one of these. Most likely the chef's knife, since that is one of the only types of knives I don't own, that I would use.

Can someone recommend a good knife sharpener? I have one, but it's just one of those plastic handheld ones you slide the knife through, that I bought at home depot. Can you get a decent one in that style or is a sharpening stone always the way to go?

i personally don't sharpen my own cutlery..I send em out.
You could always check into Victornox too. I'm in love with mine.
and its like 30 bucks, NSF certified and razor sharp

all "sharpeners" are something of a compromise compared to correctly using a stone. A diamond hone will keep knives in great shape between sharpenings (however you do it.) You tube has several clips of knife care for those who want to learn.

Robo410 said:
all "sharpeners" are something of a compromise compared to correctly using a stone. A diamond hone will keep knives in great shape between sharpenings (however you do it.) You tube has several clips of knife care for those who want to learn.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out!

About 20 years ago, I (very briefly) sold Cutco knives. I still have one somewhere, although like others have said, they are pretty "meh".

On the other hand, the scissors are great. I still use them almost every day, and occasionally even do the "cut the penny in half" trick! ;)

agreeing with every one. way over priced. i did a favor for someone by granddaughter that was selling them. didn't buy a thing. eons ago i think my son sold them. i didn't buy any from him either.

I have found that using a steel after each use maintains a sharp edge for years.

I have heard from pro knife makers, that essentially everyone who has not been taught to hone a blade ends up ruining their knives. Using a stone or any sharpener, unless you have years of practice, will simply cost you hundreds of dollars in damaged cutlery. For about $2.00 per knife, I have mine done by a pro about every other year.

From my experience, I usually have to sharpen my knives with a wetstone if I let anyone else touch my knives. If you have someone trustworthy to sharpen your knives for you, that could work (I don't trust anyone but me for that matter)... i would definitely recommend anyone with a decent set of knives at home to at least learn to use the steel.. and as you said, by using it regularly you can keep your blade sharp over long period of time.

All good advice. I keep two sets of knifes. My VG 10 Kanetsunes, emphasis on my, and a set of Forschners which are sharpened with an Edgemaker Pro. The Kanetsunes are sent to Rob Babcock, a member here. I do not feel I have, nor will I ever, have the skills to do a job like a pro.

I favor the old F Dick steels, and use only smooth ones. These were (and are) the choice of many meat cutters. The weak point is the handle, but they can be easily rehandled. Those rough ones found in sets do more damage than good. A steel is not a sharpening tool, but a honing tool.

Back
Top Bottom