Cutco knives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
Are they really as great as they claim, or is it just a gimmick?

I used my sister's Cutco pairing knife to cut some onions and tomatoes and was not that impressed. What do you think?

They're a gimmick (serrations) and way over priced for what they are. The Chef's knife is not serrated because that make for a poor chef's knife. It will underperform Forschner, Wushor or Henkels. And for the money the Japanese blades will outperform all of the above.

The handle is odd for many as well.

They are not only a gimmick, but also prey on young people (mainly guys from my experience) and push them into sales. We allowed a few of the young men who graduated from our youth group to give us the "practice demonstration".

I think there is an old thread on the subject.

I've got several Cutco knives that we bought as a favor to a friend's daughter who was trying to sell them. They are okay but I agree about being overpriced. I like the handles that can go through the dishwasher. I have the serrated and the paring knives. I just as often go for my Henkle's santoku of my 9" chef knife. Just depends on what I'm doing.

I know some folks who have them and thought they were great until they used a real knife. To each his own, but I can't recommend them, nor can the others above it seems.

Yuck, I have to allow a demo in my house next week as a favor to a parent of the demonstrator.

Hey BigD, good to see you!!!

That is what I hate most about Cutco......it always seems to be a favour to someone or to help out a young person you know. They train them this way!

I will say my one experience with these wasn't really impressive. The owner liked them, but I was left feeling like they were more hype than substance. Of course I was also in possession of my new Hattori at the time.

Yuck, I have to allow a demo in my house next week as a favor to a parent of the demonstrator.
If you want to buy something for a favor, get their kitchen shears. I have them and they are really nice. Best set I've had. The knives are average though.

My nephew-in-law sells them, so a lot of my family swears by them. I will say I used to dread helping Mom cook, and was threatening to start traveling with my own knives like a butcher or chef might. I don't like them as well as my own (mine are mostly mid-priced Wuestoff, I think their "Classic" line) but a huge improvement over what my parents and siblings had before they started to buy from him.

I agree about the kitchen shears. I was fairly impressed with those. But it sucks to buy overpriced stuff just to help someone out...

Skittle68 said:
Are they really as great as they claim, or is it just a gimmick?

I used my sister's Cutco pairing knife to cut some onions and tomatoes and was not that impressed. What do you think?

I grew up with them as we used to live in Olean, NY where they are manufactured and my parents bought a set when I was a kid. Firstly, they are not designed for the professional. They are really intended for home use. The handles take getting used to but I've been using them all my life so I think other knives feel awkward. I like how they are weighted, but my friend who is a chef hates them. They have solid construction and they use good steel. The knives hold their sharpness longer than most professional blades. The biggest thing, though, is the guarantee. Try sending your nice "less expensive" knives to the manufacturer if you use the wrong one for a job and break the blade. Cutco will replace most broken knives for free. If the serrated blades (or any for that matter) get dull, you can send them in to be sharpened for just the cost of shipping. In fact, it doesn't matter whether you are the original owner. I found a set of 1960s era cutco knives at a salvation army and bought them for 15 bucks. I sent them to NY and had them sharpened for free. I gave them to my sister in law as a gift, and she is still using them several years later.

I agree about the kitchen shears. I was fairly impressed with those. But it sucks to buy overpriced stuff just to help someone out...
That's why I wouldn't. Personal choice, of course, but if that's how companies like that survive....by tricking people into taking advantage of their personal relationships out of guilt.....then they don't deserve the business. Better a young person learn that now.

Knives are actually really hard to get here in the Philippines. We moved here with very few household goods (most of my stuff is still in storage back in the US, long story), and I didn't have a good set of knives. I was on the verge of ordering some online and having my parents ship them to me (at about 4x the cost) when I came across a really nice set of Chicago Cutlery at an import store here for $80. Not the best on the market, I know, but sounds like they're a lot better than what you guys are talking about here. I'm really happy with my set.

That's why I wouldn't. Personal choice, of course, but if that's how companies like that survive....by tricking people into taking advantage of their personal relationships out of guilt.....then they don't deserve the business. Better a young person learn that now.

Knives are actually really hard to get here in the Philippines. We moved here with very few household goods (most of my stuff is still in storage back in the US, long story), and I didn't have a good set of knives. I was on the verge of ordering some online and having my parents ship them to me (at about 4x the cost) when I came across a really nice set of Chicago Cutlery at an import store here for $80. Not the best on the market, I know, but sounds like they're a lot better than what you guys are talking about here. I'm really happy with my set.

Honestly, I advise Chicago Cutlery over these blades when it comes to the average home cooks I know.
Someone else said something about trying to send your lesser ones in if you use the wrong blade and snap it...
you shouldn't be using the wrong blade and for sure shouldn't be snapping your blades..treat your blades with respect and they should never let you down.
And i've heard that Chicago Cutlery is pretty good to their people and for my money, Victornox will really make things happen.
I tend to not try to judge people for their knife choices because everyone has a different hand and needs a different knife...no one knife is perfect for everyone, but I do do my best to direct people towards better knives when they bring these up.

I will say my one experience with these wasn't really impressive. The owner liked them, but I was left feeling like they were more hype than substance. Of course I was also in possession of my new Hattori at the time.

Game, set & match!:ROFLMAO: The Cutco ain't gonna win that one!:mrgreen:

I have the Cutco serrated bread knife, the knife that can be used to spread as well as cut, and the scissors. I like and use all of them for their various purposes. I also am really good at saying, "No, thank you," so those are all the pieces I have. My best everyday, use all the time knife is an eight inch butcher knife made here in Leon, Mexico and cost less than $5. It keeps its edge well and is a good fit for my hand.

Last edited:
jennyema said:
Go here : Wusthof Trident Irregulars

Spend the $58 for a Wusthof 8 inch chefs knife knife. It's a cosmetic irregular, but who cares? It's a much better knife than the others you are considering. It will last forever.

And the seller, Cookware and More, is very reputable ... And may become your best friend.

The next knife I buy will probably be one of these. Most likely the chef's knife, since that is one of the only types of knives I don't own, that I would use.

Can someone recommend a good knife sharpener? I have one, but it's just one of those plastic handheld ones you slide the knife through, that I bought at home depot. Can you get a decent one in that style or is a sharpening stone always the way to go?

Back
Top Bottom