"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I don't know how you think I read too fast. I went to the sites provided and they listed the walnut boards starting at $100. That's just not something feasible for a single mother that just wants her knives to stay in decent condition.

The $100 - $1600 was what I found when I googled Sani-Tuff. I could only go by what I found when I did a search; it didn't have anything to do with reading too fast. I researched according to information provided. This was the first site I went to and where I got my numbers for the Sani-Tuff.
First of all, I only referenced one site and that was BoardSmith. When I pulled up your reference it turns out that many of the item prices are for cases of 2 to 12, not individual boards, so perhaps I'm correct re: your reading speed.

Mine is 15x20x1/2 and here is the listing for that board on the site you provided:

$128.45 case our price QTY:
ITEM NUM: EK159905 WT: 18 lbs
DESCRIPTION: Teknor Apex Sani-Tuff Rubber Cutting Board, 15 x 20 x 1/2 inch -- 3 per case
MANUFACTURER: Teknor Apex MAN. ID: 159-905

It comes out to $13 more per board than the reference in my previous post so they're a little expensive.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
First of all, I only referenced one site and that was BoardSmith.
Yours was not the only site referenced here, but the one you did reference for the wood board was indeed over $100 for a wood board.

I then googled your other preferred board and didn't bother to read because I saw the prices and ran. I run from shoe prices over $30 too. I didn't need to really read anyway. This was about what I should order from my SIL, bamboo or plastic, your Sani whatever is not an option in my opinion. I understand it is your preferred cutting board, but it is nothing I would ever own for various reasons. Thank you, but please, this is starting to feel like you're sales pitching. If you would like to add anything, please use the PM feature. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
This was about what I should order from my SIL, bamboo or plastic, your Sani whatever is not an option in my opinion. I understand it is your preferred cutting board, but it is nothing I would ever own for various reasons. Thank you, but please, this is starting to feel like you're sales pitching. If you would like to add anything, please use the PM feature. Thank you.
I was merely providing options that treat knife edges better than your choices because I assumed that you didn't know those options existed.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
Head Chef

I have 3 of each, bamboo and plastic. I prefer the bamboo over the plastic. I think the bamboo cleans easier, and doesn't stain.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
That's just not something feasible for a single mother that just wants her knives to stay in decent condition.
I feel your pain as a single mother. No, I'm not a single mother but I know about having to streeeeeeeetch every nickel and dime. So with that said, I will ask that you PM me and I will help you to get a first class wood board without breaking the bank. I have some options that aren't listed on the web site and as the owner I can do some things that other manufacturers can't. If you are interested, send me the PM at your convenience and let me know what your preferences would be.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
You read too fast. The board in the picture is a BoardSmith end grain walnut board. It'll last my children's lifetimes and is a kitchen showpiece. Cheap? No. Worth it? Yes.

I also have a 15"x20" Sani-Tuff rubber board available here for about thirty bucks. They aren't pretty but they're approved for commercial kitchens and are as easy on knife edges as end grain wood. I lay a Walmart poly board on it to cut beef, poultry, fish, and beets.

Buzz
Great prices on that site, thanks.

I'd like to pick up a couple "sani" style items for BBQ and just to have so I don't have to take out my good stuff all the time. Those boards look interesting, I like the prices of the cutlery alot.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

I just use a polyproplene board. It's like a hard plastic materal. Good because easy to clean. You can just toss it in the dishwasher for easy clean ups. A wooden one will just fall apart in the dishwasher. Also if you get a stain that won't go away then just grab some bleach and it's good to go. Sanitary and no chance of bacteria causing food poisoning or something. Also good for knives. It seems to absorb the shock from cutting. The knife seems to have a slight "bounce" instead of crunching into a wood board.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

The description of poly boards as hard is quite fitting. They are just that. And cheap to boot!

As for simply tossing one in the dishwasher, that may be their only strong point. As with quality wooden boards and quality knives, they simply do not need to be tossed in the dishwasher. That would be abuse. A little TLC will make either last for years.

Sanitary - The jury is still out on that one. The deep cut marks left in a poly board can harbor bacteria. However, the sanitation issue is one of do you wash and sanitize or is it something that is haphazardly done.

If you hear a crunch when using a wooden board, something is wrong. Either the knife is dull requiring extra force or the user is just hammering to heavy with the edge.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Depends on how you see it though. Not saying that I do it but for an average home cook I'm sure would just toss it in the dishwasher for the assured "clean". Hopefully the knives don't go in there also but maybe that's why manufacturers always specify whether it is dishwasher safe or vice versa.

Sanitary wise - Depends on how you see it. You can get deep cuts in both wood and poly and at my restaurant the board will start changing color in these cuts. We just take a washcloth soaked with bleach and put it on there and half hour or so the board is totally clean. I'm sure there is a reason why the food inspections at restaurants specify that wood cutting boards cannot be used at restaurants. Take the same washcloth with bleach on the wood board and it's a goner. Even if you oil the wood board I am sure some moisture gets in the board.

Crunching sound... Okay little exaggerated. I don't know how to describe it. I guess it's more of the feedback you get from the board. Poly board seems to absorb the shock and wood you seem to just feel it. I'm not alway slicing an dicing. You start chopping stuff and you will get what I mean.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Lewi, the noise you are hearing or the feedback you are getting from the wood board...Is it an end grain board or edge grain board?