"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cutting Boards ~ Bamboo or Plastic or Both

Okay, so my SIL is a Pampered Chef sales person and for my birthday and to help her out to get started in her new state, I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from her. They sell bamboo and plastic cutting boards. The plastic is great for meat, that I know because you can bleach it. But what I don't know is, is bamboo good for your knives. I'm spending a bunch of money on knives, I don't want to ruin them if bamboo is bad for them. And what about plastic? Is it okay for knives or does it dull them? Need to know before I proceed.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have both bamboo and plastic boards. I use the plastic for meats, poultry, etc. The bamboo is used for veg's and fruits. I have had no problem with my knives (I have a set of Wusthof (sp?) knives that were quite expensive. Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

My understanding is that the epoxy used to glue the bamboo together to make the board is very hard and therefore not the best for knife edges.

All my boards are plastic. Dishwasher safe and easily sanitized. No special care required.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I had a bamboo board for a while. It was a great looking end grain board that I got for a great price. It was way too hard though. My knives were getting dull much too quick. I have moved that board to my downstairs kitchen which is never used. I replaced my bamboo board with a wood board and my knifes are much happier now. I used both wood and plastic and that is all I will use right now with the available options.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef

So far this is great info. I don't want to spend $70 on a board that will dull my knives. I hope to get more input before I put in my order next week.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Sous Chef

End grain wood boards (bamboo is not wood) or Sani-Tuff rubber boards (kind of ugly) are by far the easiest on knife edges. After that I would go with edge grain wood boards closely followed by poly. I like to do a lot of vegetable chopping and anything other than end grain or Sani-Tuff would chip my very hard Japanese blades and would roll my very soft German and French blades.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I use a maple cutting board (24"x24"x2"), it is the easiest on my knives of anything I have tried. And more hygienic, too.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Head Chef

I like end-grain bamboo. Been using it for about 4 years and I've not had any problems with it dulling my knives. I use plastic for raw meat.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigene View Post
I use a maple cutting board (24"x24"x2"), it is the easiest on my knives of anything I have tried. And more hygienic, too.
Maple for everything here, too. It's easy on the knives and has natural anti-bacterial properties.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I bought a nice bamboo board, but I find myself using these more and more:

Amazon.com: Norpro Cut And Slice 3 Piece Flexible Cutting Mats: Kitchen & Dining

They are thin, light, and flexible. I just pull one or two out of the cabinet and go to town. They always fit in the dishwasher because they are flexible and can wrap around other things in there. Once you are done cutting you can carry the entire mat to the stove and fold it into a funnel shape to let the food slide right into the pan... Easy...