"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 04-14-2016, 02:45 AM   #11
Master Chef

Addie, it appears that "craftsy" is an online tutorial, and that Brendan McDermott is one of the video instructors.

Complete Knife Skills

Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
Sous Chef

If you want to learn knife skills from a video, learn from the master himself. Jacques Pepin has a video on YouTube on knife skills.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, it appears that "craftsy" is an online tutorial, and that Brendan McDermott is one of the video instructors.

Complete Knife Skills
Our member wants to learn the proper way to slice and dice chicken breasts. Unfortunately for our member, Mr. McDermott is only showing skills in vegetables and fruits.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
If you want to learn knife skills from a video, learn from the master himself. Jacques Pepin has a video on YouTube on knife skills.
Will take a look.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Andy,
I got what you said when slicing using a forward and backward motion. What i dont get is on the chicken piece you mention slicing as long strips,so here would not do the forward and backward motion? Is it because one is just to be used for slicing and the other used for making long strips only? Just making sure I am understanding this right? Read other places said to put back of knife on item and draw knife to you(your body)and the tip slices and then forward a little. Showed a picture of using this technique on a tomato and fruit.Is there a difference between forward and backward motion and this one with bringing back of knife towards you?
Old 04-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Our member wants to learn the proper way to slice and dice chicken breasts. Unfortunately for our member, Mr. McDermott is only showing skills in vegetables and fruits.
Slicing and dicing chicken is no different from slicing and dicing fruits and vegetables.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
Andy,
I got what you said when slicing using a forward and backward motion. What i dont get is on the chicken piece you mention slicing as long strips,so here would not do the forward and backward motion? Is it because one is just to be used for slicing and the other used for making long strips only? Just making sure I am understanding this right? Read other places said to put back of knife on item and draw knife to you(your body)and the tip slices and then forward a little. Showed a picture of using this technique on a tomato and fruit.Is there a difference between forward and backward motion and this one with bringing back of knife towards you?
There is no difference. The end result will be the same. Use whichever is more comfortable for you. Watch this video and stop making it so complicated. It's not.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #18
Senior Cook

i cant find where i read or heard but, it was for soft veg. you use the pulling cut and hard veg the push cut . Has any one else heard this? Thats why I ask about back of knife on item pull towards you and other knife edge on item with forward and back motion. I have to say i am not making this complicated,just understanding what cut for what.Thanks for video! Also realize you use what is comfortable for you ,but has to be some guide lines.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Andy,
It doesn't matter if you cut long strips first then cut across the strips to make cubes; or if you cut pieces across the breast then cut those pieces into cubes. Just stick with the forward and down or the backward and down motion Jacques Pepin described. It works for all foods that require cutting up.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
i cant find where i read or heard but, it was for soft veg. you use the pulling cut and hard veg the push cut . Has any one else heard this? Thats why I ask about back of knife on item pull towards you and other knife edge on item with forward and back motion.
No, I haven't heard that, and I went to culinary school for a couple of months (had to withdraw for medical reasons; the first class was knife skills). You only use the sharp edge. The back (top) of the knife won't cut anything.

Quote:
I have to say i am not making this complicated,just understanding what cut for what.Thanks for video! Also realize you use what is comfortable for you ,but has to be some guide lines.
Yes, you are, and you do this every time you post. You ask a question, you get the same answer from several people, and you continue to ask the same question. There are guidelines. Watch the video, listen and do what he does. Then watch more of his videos. You will learn a lot that way.

Tags
chicken