"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 02-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Deglon Meeting Knife Set

Amazon.com: Deglon Meeting Knife Set, Stainless Steel Knives and Block, Set of 4: Kitchen & Dining
the reviews sound promising.
what do you all think?

no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Executive Chef
I've never seen such a concept as the knives each nesting within its next larger size, and all of them fully stainless steel including the "block" (more of a slab the knives rest upon.) Frankly, modernism does not appeal to me. I prefer the traditional knife block set, the knives with black riveted handles and a wooden block (e.g. my Henckels knives and block.)

I wonder how those handles will feel since it appears that all but the smallest knife have a hollow in the handle to contain the smaller size.

However the Degalon is at least to me a unique idea, and an interesting concept in a sort of knives-as-art way, and I'm sure some people find appeal in modernistic kitchen utensils.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I know that I would not be able to use those knives for any length of time, the handles would not be comfortable.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Did you look at the reviews?
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Did you look at the reviews?
Yeah, you're right. I've never seen so many sarcastic (call them "tongue in cheek") reviews, which most of them were.

I mistakenly took the topic seriously and based my reply on the photograph and product description. I didn't read the reviews, nor did that even occur to me. Evidently a lot of people agree with me that the knives look like they'd be difficult to use and uncomfortable in the hand.

I think it's important that a knife should have a comfortable grip, should feel good in the hand, and should have a pleasing balance as far as weight of blade vs. weight of handle. I don't see how this set could feel balanced, nor with that slot can I see how it could feel comfortable in the hand.

And since I'm not shopping for knives I didn't glance at the price. $750 for 4 knives???

I can see why the reviewers did not take this product seriously. This knife set was IMO not meant to be used. Instead I'd call it some form of modern art or design art, something that evidently I have no appreciation of. In fact I'd call this the worst knife set I've ever seen.

This set would be perfect in the kitchen of somebody who does absolutely no cooking and wants to make some kind of impression on guests. I presume making a good impression on those knowledgeable about cooking would not be a consideration.

So I guess that was your point, eh Mayo?
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
Slick design.

I can't imagine their being comfortable to use.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Head Chef
800 bucks will buy a 4 fine Japanese Damascus blades, a storage device, and still have enough left over for several nice pans. Aside from the fact that all the knives are the same shape, just different sizes, and you would have to remove all of them to reach the largest, it just seems like a piece of art, not a serious kitchen tool.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Whoa. $$$! Very pretty, but I would agree with the other opinions.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Executive Chef
a. I'm not partial to skeleton blades
b. I doubt the method of storage would be beneficial to retention of sharp cutting edges.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Master Chef
Those reviews are hysterical!!!

I love them! Though not as good as the Tuscan Milk reviews...

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote