Dexter Russell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EEstrada

Assistant Cook
Well, after doing some research, and going into my local restaurant supply store, I decided to go for a Dexter Russell 8in Chef knife. I tried it out, and I love it. I just have to be careful because it is pretty sharp! Like I had mentioned before, I'm a dietetics student, so I could not afford high end knives. Hopefully this one will get me through 2 semesters.

I am not familiar with the brand, but I am sure someone here is. As long as you take care of the knife then there is no reason to think it won't last a very long time. Make sure you get a sharpening steel (also called a honing steel) and use it before EVERY use. It does not actually sharpen the blade, but it keeps it in good working order. Congrats on your purchase!

EEstrada - remember, the most dangerous knife you'll ever use is a dull one! Like GB said - be sure to get a "steel" so you can keep the blade "trued up" - and learn how to sharpen it.

It's high carbon steel - so you should be able to get, and keep, a good sharp edge on it.

I think you will get way more than 2 semesters use out of it.

I'm not a big fan of the plastic handles (totally just a personal preference) but I do like the fact that the bolster doesn't come all the way down to the cutting edge of the blade. This way you can sharpen and use the entire blade. Some of the "fancy" knives are not made that way - you can't really sharpen or use the last inch of the blade. I think you made a good choice for a first knife!

Thanx Michael. Yeah, I'll will be keeping up the blade with a sharpening steel. My parents had some really old sharpening steels there that were given to them by my cousing that used to work at a butcher shop. Luckily they are some F. Dick steel sharpeners. I did some research on them, and they seem to be good quality. I mean, these steels are from the 80's, but I think they will still do the job. Or what do you all recommend? THanx again!:chef:

EE

Like GB said, steels don't actually sharpen the blade.

Like Michael said, they help keep the blade aligned, or true.

You should probably invest in a sharpening stone, too.

I've got a few Dexter-Russel knives in my inventory. IMHO, they are the best-quality domestic knife you can get.

I have the Chef's Choice knife sharpener with the 3 choices - heavy-duty grinding for those knives that haven't seen a sharp edge in YEARS!!! The next choice is the one normally started with to actually sharpen and the third choice takes the nicks out - the third choice is also for serrated edges. Was about $150.00 and worth it.

I bought some $19.95 (started out at $50 but no one would buy them! lol) knives from a local grocery store and I have sharpened every one of them and keep them sharp - they are performing well with proper care for $19.95.

I'm sure you will do fine. If you can perfect using a honing stone that will keep a nice edge on your blade. The stone can use either water or honing oil. You might want to google it. You just have to get the technique down.

I would recommend the Lansky Universal Sharpening System. It takes the guesswork out of trying to get the angle right. If you do not know what you are doing with a stone then you potentially can ruin your knife. I was not confident enough to try using a stone on my good knives so I got this system. It is still a sharpening stone, but there are guides that ensure you have the correct angle.

Thanx GB, I think I will definitely give that one a shot, especially because I am new to this! Thanx again

I don't see that the brand name of a steel is really important - it's just a piece of magnatized steel. The steel that my aunt has - handed down from grandma - is at least 60 years old and still works just fine. Look at where your cousin worked ... who would know better about a good steel than someone working in a butcher shop?

I'm with GB on the Lanasky system - especially if you're new to sharpening knives. It's about the most foolproof method outside of taking your knives to be professionally sharpened that I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom