Difference Between Cutting Boards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daphne duLibre said:
Being a fixated, obsessive/retentive type (My niece calls me "Capt. Compulsive.") I tend NOT to slice meat against a cutting board. What I do is hold the meat away from the board in my left hand and slice with the knife in my right hand. This for large pieces of meat. It won't work when cubing beef for stews.

"Danger, Danger, Danger"!!!

Well, I've been cooking regularly for more than 30 years now, using both wood and plastic cutting boards, and I have yet to make anybody sick from either kind. It makes me wonder if the potential problem from contamination is far less significant than this protracted and repeated discussion would make it out to be :rolleyes: .... at least as long as one maintains a reasonable level of cleanliness. My plastic boards go in the dishwasher regularly, and my one wooden board gets cleaned as soon as possible after each use. I don't let it sit around breeding colonies of bacteria. I wash it in detergent water as hot as I can stand to touch, but it has never seen bleach. :ermm: It also never gets used for raw meat, but it has had many roasts (pork, beef, chicken and turkey) carved on it.

RPCookin said:
Well, I've been cooking regularly for more than 30 years now, using both wood and plastic cutting boards, and I have yet to make anybody sick from either kind. It makes me wonder if the potential problem from contamination is far less significant than this protracted and repeated discussion would make it out to be :rolleyes: .... at least as long as one maintains a reasonable level of cleanliness. My plastic boards go in the dishwasher regularly, and my one wooden board gets cleaned as soon as possible after each use. I don't let it sit around breeding colonies of bacteria. I wash it in detergent water as hot as I can stand to touch, but it has never seen bleach. :ermm: It also never gets used for raw meat, but it has had many roasts (pork, beef, chicken and turkey) carved on it.

Well said. I believe you've hit the nail on the head.

You know, i guess i could as well say my point of view on the plastic vs. wood subject is in a slight bias nature, because i do some woodworking.:neutral:

Now thinking about it though, my only real expierence with plastic boards are of the.......lets just say, 'non clean' persuasion.:yuk:
Upon which the pink airborne 'algae like' bacteria was present, and in abundance! That tramatic event lead me to never own one, and to really care for my wood ones!

So i really know, only from what i have seen and read. However, and in retrospect, the plastic board had a microban label on it as well, so i guess if you don't take care of it, it's not going to much matter anyway!

Peace

BBQ:

I can't say that I blame you - "pink airborne 'algae like' bacteria" can't be appetizing.

When all is said and done, I think either wood or plastic will be just fine if properly cared for.

Back
Top Bottom